Am I being touchy, or do I really have something here? Should I say something?

I work in a salon. The owner says she doesn't take new clients because she has her own clientele. But I see here do it every day. The rest of the people getting new clients are ones she spends more time with outside work. I'm sitting here at work with no clients all day, and everyone but me has a client today. SHe has a system to see who is getting the most clients from a walk in basis or new customer basis, but she doesn't mark them down. We only get paid by the customer and I feel like I'm being cheated. The clients I do have I brought in on my own. I rent so she's not my boss, but she has a problem with me if I try to do a promo to bring in new customers. It's starting to feel personal. Is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have no idea how those businesses work so I can't say for sure, but from what you described, I would be very suspicious. Can you find another salon to rent a chair and start over?
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have thought about it, but you risk losing clients when you move somewhere, but I'm considering.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• sounds bad to me too. Cant you talk to her about it. I find being open with one another is always best.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 11:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If it feels personal, chances are it is. Your feelings are valid and you should feel confident in confronting her about it. If you don't it will fester and then every little thing she does (knowingly or not) will seem bigger than it probably is. You should come to her like you want her help - tell her that you aren't sure if you can stay on if you don't start making some money. Then maybe suggest being able to do something to help get people in your chair. If she seems off putting, you will know for sure that it is personal. If it isn't it will work itself out.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 11:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'm definitly going to speak to her about it. My biggest fears are it will get turned around on me, to change the subject, or she'll act like she cares then go behind my back and complain to everyone what I did.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I still have my cosmo. lic. but I dont actually practice because I discovered I like my work from home job better. I dont miss the BS of the shop. Loved the clients, hated the co-workers. Ive been right there with you. Im not an after hours drinker, so I didnt hang out with the gang. Instead I went home to my babies so I was frowned upon and as social out cast.
    Are you booth rental? If you are I have some great tips. If your commission, I suggest finding a different shop. Now tips: !. get a cell phone that you use only for your salon buz. 2.Get buz. cards and give to all your clients with that number on it. 3.Have the clients that you serve fill out a short questionnaire about themselves, addresses, email, services you perform, etc. (always carry this info with you everywhere you go - never leave it at the shop) 4. set up a website for yourself 5. set up a buz email account.... continued
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• A friend of mine has switched salons several times and each time, her clientele have followed her. Just let them know about the move and provide them with the new phone number. I bet they switch with you.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Thanks laci, I rent a chair and I do all of the above... :) I'm more stressed because that stuff isn't working as good as it ususally does because everyone is so tight. But when people call the salon or walk in because they are looking for an establishment, it always goes to someone else. I think it 's delibarate. I'm sure I'll get sick of it eventually.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Continued...6.use your email account to alert your existing customers of holiday/back to school/etc specials.7. Offer refer a friend discount to the existing client and the new client/book consecutively as a "friendship" special. 8. follow up on thank yous. 9. make a photo album of your clients - post on your website and in a book at work. 10. at your local beauty supply collect free samples thru out the year, check you clients birthday/send them samples with a gift card of 10% off their birthday haircut.
    Advice: Dont leave it up to the shop owner.mgnr to provide for you.Do it yourself, that way you are beholding to no one and you can move on if you need to..maybe into your own shop. Im rooting for you...Good Luck!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You will get sick of it eventually thats why so many have their own shops. So collect as much data as you can to establish yourself for the future. Flip the switch, dont let them use you as a filler, use them as your filler. Times are real tuff and money is slow. Its not fail, but I have not ever worked in a salon for someone else thats was fair. Contact the local newspaper and see if they need someone to write articles regarding tips and hints,that also gets you notoriety. Your clients will follow you, but you have to make your name more important than that shops name. OK/ Let me know if you need help.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010