The number of people seeking jobless benefits jumped sharply, undermining hopes that claimes, after falling four times in the previous five weeks, were on a sustained downward trend.

That would have meant that layoffs were slowing and hiring was picking up. Employers added a net total of 60,000 jobs last month, but that is far below the 200,000 jobs a month needed to keep up with population growth and to help get some of the 15 million unemployed back to work. This is the nation as a whole.
What is your feeling about this, and what is happening in your area?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 12:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Companies are waiting to see how the tax cuts are handled, wha the new Congress will do in Jan., and if it is permanent or temporary. As things begin to move, we will see hiring. There will be the holiday hiring, but after the lame duck Congress does it final piece of damage to pass any and every piece of special interest crap it can, then we can start fixing the mess. I don't mind if the dem watch, but they need to get out of the way and let us work and get the enormous mess fixed they caused in such a short amount of time. (What???!!! PBO said that about the repubs!!!)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I wonder if the liberal media saw this as an "unexpected surprised?!" (sarcasm)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• In my area, many places are using temps at $8.00 an hr. One place has over two hundred temps, some have been there as long as three years. Sad.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Wow, that's terrible. I don't think things in my area are anywhere near as bad as they are in other parts of the country.

This makes me wonder what sort of shopping season retailers are expecting this holiday season and if they will cut back on seasonal help as well. That will be less temporary jobs available, which I am sure some areas are depending on.

While this news is bad and it sucks for a lot of people, my only hope is that our government doesn't throw more money at the problem. It hasn't helped yet, and it's not likely to in the future.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:44 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Where do you live? 33% is awful!

In the Midwest, that's more about average. It's the U6 unemployment rate - the one they never brag about in political speeches. It accounts for ALL the unemployed, including those who lost part time and temp jobs, instead of only counting people eligible for actual U/E benefits. The national U6 rate is 17%. CA is around 22%, and the various states in the Midwest range from 20-40%.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It's pretty bad here in WA, especially in some areas. Most of the jobs you can get are really low paying right now and mostly part time. I know people who are working 2 or 3 jobs just to survive. My hubby retired from the Navy after 20 years and he can't find a decent job so he is back in school to get his degree. And the taxes and cost of living are extremely high here. We are moving to another state after he finishes school.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• CNN is reporting a job increase of 150,000 today. I guess it all depends on what source you want to educate yourself about the economy with.
    I spent the day shopping, and could not find a parking space, waiting in long lines, and waited for a table for dinner. I guess our areas are OK, who knows.
    My line of work is busy and getting busier with management consulting, and DH is working every day the first 3 weeks of Nov and the first 3 weeks of Dec. He would have worked 60 days in a row if he didn't have vacation days for the Holiday Season. His company does not recgonize holidays and many are working for the next 60 days straight.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• LOL I noticed they were not talking about that this week, only that we had picked up jobs. The liberal media is working overtime to help out the shamed Democrats.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• CNN is reporting a job increase of 150,000 today.

Yeah, that sounds about right for people to stand by red buckets ringing bells, guys to dress like Santa, and extra stockers and cashiers to work at WalMart and Kmart between now and Dec 31. It goes hand in hand with that decrease of 150k they'll report the first week of January.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• In our area its horrible, there is about 33% unemployed but only about 10% on uneployment. My hubby at this time is laid off and not sure when he will be going back to work, its scary for us.

1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 12:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010