tandom nursing with my baby and ny sisters baby..explination...

My sister had a double mastectomy a few years ago and is pregnant with her first baby. I am also pregnant but my baby is due 3 months earlier. My sister has asked me if I would breast feed or pump for her baby some as well just for a few weeks since she will produce little or no milk. I can't decide how I feel about this... Is it weird?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sounds wonderful!!
    :-D

Many women use donated milk from milk banks.
    I think it would be nicer to have an intimate relationship with the donor: your sibling!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It's only weird if you feel weird about it. It's a VERY noble thing to do for her and her baby - and can you really blame her for asking? She's worried because she wants to give her baby the very best and is fearful she won't be able to. As her sister she probably feels safe coming to you to ask for your help on it.

I am currently an organizer in my town for something called Milk For Jayden. I basically collect donated breast milk from mothers in my community for this little girl across the state who needs it. (Check out my profile for the story). I think that since I am the type of person who would certainly nurse for someone else, and who has seen the benefits to child through donated milk, I can't help but encourage this idea.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 12:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I personally do not find it weird but an amazingly awesome gift. She is your sister afterall...not like it is some stranger. Even still, if I had the milk supply and a friend with a baby in need, I would most definitely at least give it a try.
    The only reason I would be wary of actually nursing the baby is because of your sister's feelings. It would probably be very hard for her to see you get that bonding time with her baby. If you could pump/freeze though, it would be a wonderful and noble thing.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Honestly, I don't find it weird at all. I think it's a wonderful gift to your sister and her child. I can see where you might feel weird nursing a stranger's child, but this is your sister. I'd do it for my sister, or even my sister in law, if they needed me to. If you really feel that odd about actually nursing the little one, though, pump, if you're willing, so the little one can have that.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 1:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• breast milk is the best milk for baby, i would suggest seeing how you can produce milk and if it is at a rate that there is enough for your sisters baby i wouldnt suggest nursing her baby but pumping ur breast 4 milk and letting her bottle feed her baby
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I can see how it would be weird, and I don't know what I would do. But it's nice your sister wants breastmilk since she can't provide it. I would cross that bridge when you find out how breast feeding goes for you and you baby. If your doing great, why not give her some.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Actually breastfeeding would be weird to me, but you could pump and freeze some and give it to her. I'm assuming this is a big deal to your sister, seems how she cannot do it herself.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I dont think i could nurse someones baby but i know that I could pump but if you are nursing yours that may be alot of work . It just drpends what you would feel up to, I would do it if i could
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 12:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2010