What kind of foods should I put in my 5 year old son's lunchbox that is healthy because he won't et any school lunch and he comes home starving everyday?

mommys1luv

Asked by mommys1luv at 12:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• peanut butter & jelly, any type of sandwich that won't spoil, carrot sticks, stuffed celery, banana, apple, muffin, bagel, I can go on if you want me to! I used to freeze a juice box, so it would keep the sandwich chilled, and it would defrost enough to drink by lunch time.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My kids take peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or crackers. Even a lunchable. Sides are applesause, fruit snacks, raisions, pudding, cookies, mini candy bar, trail mix, and a capri sun. I let them pick out their out their lunch the night before but I do look it over. Maybe have them pack their own lunch and maybe that will work for you.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My daughter takes a sandwich, a cookie, and a piece of fruit every day. She buys milk at school.
    We don't do afterschool snacks, so if she doesn't want to be hungry while waiting for dinner, she'll eat her lunch.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:44 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My son loves sandwiches on the sandwich rolls, rather than regular sliced bread. Chips or pretzels, applesauce, granola, yogurt, hummus and veggies, cheese and crackers..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• What does he like to eat when he's home? PB & J sandwiches, cheese and/or bologna sandwiches, fruit such as apples and pears, cheese sticks, pretzels, were all things my kids enjoyed.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My 5 year old son takes a turkey sandwich (allergic to PB) and 2 other things, usually something sweet and something salty. He also takes a drink. I let him pick items, so I know he'll like them and eat them.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Sandwich, fruit, cheese, and they buy a drink.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• What does he like?
    I can think of many things, lol!

He can make a list of what he wants & together you can map out a schedule. Put the paper on the fridge.
    Every morning get up a little earlier (or night before) to make the lunch together. Let him help spread the jelly and pack the carrots...

Having children participate in the food preparation is a wonderful way to get them to eat all sorts of stuff, lol!
    AND having peers eat that stuff in their presence seems to do wonders as well! Have a healthy friend come and they can make and eat dinner together sometime.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• 5 year old boys are too busy being boys to stop long enough to sit and eat at school. It's a challenge to get them to eat when you are not around. For now, I would say give him anything healthy he will eat and make sure that the rest of the time he's home that he's eating as healthy as possible.
    Also talk to the teacher and make sure she knows that you want him to sit and eat better. I have volunteered at school lunches for a long time and there are always the couple of kids who are so busy gabbing and laughing that they run out of time to eat. If at all possible and if the school allows it, try to visit or volunteer at lunch and see for yourself what's going on.
    You could also put a note in his lunchbox reminding him to eat. Reward him when he eats his lunch, and keep talking to him about it so he knows that he'll feel better after lunch if he eats.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 2:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010