Medically unable to breast feed. Should formula be tax deducatble as a medical expense?

http://www.taxgirl.com/infant-formula-not-a-medical-expense/

Thought?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• If she physically cant then sure! But I'd go to a breastmilk bank first.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• NO. If pumps and accessories are not covered then formula certainly shouldn't be. And - if it ever is it should only be covered if it was a last resort and a medical necessity (which is rarely the case - though I know sometimes it is).
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 12:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No, breast pumps and accessories are not tax deductible.. so formula shouldn't be either.

Financially prepare for feeding your children BEFORE conceiving them. It isn't the government's responsibility to feed your children.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• In this woman's case I can see her point. I also see the tax definitions point as well.
    Formula is considered a food and not a medical necessity to prevent people form deducting things like soy milk, gluten free foods...ect...
    Formula in the mother/baby's case could have been considered life sustaining thus a medical necessity. It could have really gone either way depending on who was reviewing the case.

A pump is not a necessity for breast feeding. Formula is a necessity, for a infant of a mother clinically unable to breast feed, to live.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Since it was a tax deduction she was requesting and not SSI or food stamps I am guessing she paid out of pocket so...Financially it was fine. She was just trying to get what she could from her taxes. You don't know until you ask.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No, it shouldn't be tax deductible. If you were allergic to milk, would the substitute be tax deductible?
    MaggieNSamsMom

Answer by MaggieNSamsMom at 2:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No but you can live without a milk sub. A baby will die without formula/ breast milk.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010