Does caster oil induce labor?? Is it even safe??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 12:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It does not always work. No, it's not safe. What it does is gives you such horrid diarrhea that you get dehydrated in a hurry, the bulk of which causes your uterus to start contracting. Frequently it causes baby to poop in utero also - which is very dangerous. The farther along you are the more likely it is to "work", but the worse the consequences can be. It is the worst possible thing a pregnant woman can do to herself and to her baby.
    Anonymous

• YES, castor oil makes your uterus contract and stimulates the bowels. I mean straight up diaherra. I do not advise this it can make your baby pass meconium in the uterus. As we all know it can be dangerous if your LO inhales that poop. Good Luck. Honestly just have sex and walk a lot. She/he will come when they are ready and if not you will be induced.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• As a doula I do not recommend it to my clients. I have seen it fail more than succeed.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 12:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I am not planning on using it, I heard one of my friends talking about it the other day and was just wondering if it actually worked.
    LiLJeni

Comment by LiLJeni (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• it worked for me. There was no meconium in there at all & that is a highly debatable argument. It did make me go to the bathroom, but i did not have daiherra. I was 3 weeks over due & did not want to have to have a hospital birth getting induced with pitocin. But, it should only be used the last resort.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would never recommend castor oil to anyone.. There are too many risks associated with drinking that gross stuff.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• it didnt work for me....my dh pushed the fact tht it worked with his first child's mom, and that it would work with me......yet, it didn't....lol it was disgusting..and i would not recomend, suggest, or do it again
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes, it can work.
    No it's not totally safe.
    Forcing things generally has risks.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I had friend who tried it and it didn't even work to induce the labor, but she sure was miserably sick from it. Women's bodies tend to know when it's the right time, and I feel frustrated that so many women take risks by taking things into their own hands without consulting their doctor. It's not safe for mother or baby.
    grace727

Answer by grace727 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2010