Did I have a right to the refund?

I went to the grocery store to buy pumpkins to carve with my kids. I used my food stamp card, the strip doesn't work, so I asked the cashier enter in the numbers. She did it but said, and I quote "there is no money on this card". I asked her calmly and nicely to try again b/c I'm sure there was money on it. She did it again really quickly and said again, no, no money. I didn't want to argue or make a scene, so I just paid cash for the pumkins--$15. I went outside, called the number and checked the balance. Sure enough, there was the balance on there that I thought. Then I decided to look closer at the reciept where she ran the card. You know how the last 4 digits of a card is shown? Well, one of those digits was different from my actual card. Meaning SHE ENTERED IN THE WRONG NUMBER! I went back into the store and asked for a refund because it was her mistake. And for the embarassment of having my card declined.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would say that maybe you should just cut your loses with it and move on.

The point of a food stamp card is to purchase food to feed your family, not buy pumpkins to carve and let rot outside... Just saying..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Thanks u ladies,food stamps should not be used for things to rot outside!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I agree with xxlilmomma09. I would rather save the food stamps for food and not pumpkins that are just going to rot.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Youre allowed to buy pumpkins with food stamps? No offense, but you had the cash so whats the big deal. You werent eating the pumpkins you were craving them...
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• U can only get a refund if u r returning the pumpkins! She made a mistake,get over it!!! U r not entitled to a refund unless u return the merchandise!!!! Going anonymous,it figures! U don't get a refund because u got embarassed! Sorry u lose!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Really? You were going to use foodstamps to buy holiday decor? That's for food, to feed your family like a couple other posters have stated. Get over it and use your government assistance wisely.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If u would have done that in my store, u would have had to have a nice day,people r human,let me know when u r perfect and be on your way!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Well goody for you. Glad my husband can work for you to decorate your house.
    Anonymous

• Yes you do!

Answer by older at 12:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Did u feel better? Good. Now just walk away.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010