Dog having issues dealing with pregnancy..

I have had my dog for 4 years now, and she's always been a GREAT dog. Every since I've become pregnant and showing though, she is acting out..BADLY. She ruined our couch, she barks non stop, she no longer listens to anything my husband or I say, and she has just become a nightmare. I know she is probably acting out due to the pregnancy, but I'm to the point where I just want to get rid of her she makes me so mad. My husband says that's too drastic and she'll snap out of it, but I don't know if I can wait for that. We adopted her from the pound when she was 4 months old, and she was born at the pound and never lived in a house until we got her, so I feel awful sending her back there. All of our friends have heard our recent horror stories, so they don't even want to take her. Is my husband right? Will she snap out of it? Is it worth holding off to see what happens, or should I just let her go now before it gets worse?

Erin_Jus

Asked by Erin_Jus at 1:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pets

• She will most likely snap out of it. I had the same problem with out female dog when I was pregnant. She would chew on anything she could get her mouth on, she pooed in my kitchen every chance she got, and just basically chose to drive me nuts at every turn. One of the things that helped was crate training her. I just started out with putting her in it for about 15-20 minutes at a time and worked up to where she would sleep in there at night, and of course, she is in there if she gets in trouble. It was really weird, but as soon as she met our dd it was like some maternal instinct kicked in and she was a whole different dog. It will change when your LO comes, especially with a female dog. Mine stopped the bad behavior within a couple weeks and now only occasionally acts out when she isn't getting enough attention.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i dont think i could give my dog away, even if he was acting up. maybe try spending some extra time with her. give her some special attention, maybe teach her some tricks. and maybe try some kind of dog training class.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I know she will snap out of it. Just let her know u still love her.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010