Can you go into labor with out having any contractions??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 1:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Actually YES. It's possible that women can experience labor without feeling any pain or discomfort. Not that she isn't have contractions, more that she doesn't know it.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 1:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'm one of the lucky woman who don't feel the early contractions. With my oldest child I didn't really experience much pain until I was about ready to push. With #2 I started having pain around 7 centimeters dialated. Before then I wouldn't have known I was in labor if not for the monitor.
    You can't have labor without contractions but you don't have to feel major pain either.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 1:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Your water can break with no contractions but labor by definition is the interval from the onset of these contractions to childbirth. SO I guess no. You can't.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You have to have contractions in order for labor to progress; that's what dilates your cervix, moves the baby into position, helps the baby through the birth canal, etc. But you don't necessarily have to feel them.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• When I was admitted to the hospital for induction I was having contractions 2 minutes apart but didn't even feel them. They weren't productive contractions, though. True labor starts with real contractions, though, like but_mommie says, your water can break prematurely. This isn't labor.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I was having contractions and didnt know it, I just thought they were cramps from where I was so big, lol.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes. Happened to a friend of mine, with her 4th living baby. She went to the doctor for her normal weekly checkup (right around 40 weeks, possibly 41), doc checked her and she was 5cm, fully effaced, and baby was at +1 station. She had no clue she was in labor. She was having a contraction here & there but thought they were BH because they didn't bother her, they weren't regular, and there weren't that many. Baby was born 3 hours later.
    Anonymous

• Water breaking is not the equivalent to labor, fyi...

The body can progress in a subtle way, undetected by Moms, sometimes...
    For the uterus to move up & expel baby, mom is most likely to notice this at least a little, though.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• With my first, I was having contractions that I could not feel.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 3:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2010