baby sleep

Ok My son will be 9 months old on the 10th of nov. and he has had a hard time sleeping since birth! you seriously have to rock him to sleep for at least half an hour. once he is sleeping i put him down and he wakes right back up so he has been sleeping with me. Well I talked to his ped. and he said to try and ween him off the bottle at night.. so ive been only putting 2 scoops of formula in hs 8 ounce bottles at night instead of 4 scoop. So i plan on getting down to try and giving him jus warm water at night. Did anyone try this and slowly start to giving their children no bottle at night? how well does this work? is there any other ways i can try to get him to sleep by him self? My friends twins are the same age and once you lay them down they go right to sleep? Am I doing something wrong?

stressedmommy88

Asked by stressedmommy88 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i DON'T THINK YOUR DR. MEANT FOR YOU TO CUT BACK THE AMOUNT OF FORMULA SCOOPS, HE MEANT THE AMOUNT OF OUNCES, AND WHY BOTHER IF YOU ARE STILL GOING TO GIVE HIM WATER AT NIGHT?
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 5:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• No.
    And believe it or not- doctors often give out very BAD advice.
    My first daughter was a comfort nurser. She was exactly as you describe your son as far as sleep goes.
    The trick I learned was to put her to sleep on a very flat pillow and transfer her to bed that way- still on the pillow, fast asleep so she didn't notice the switch from my arms to cold bed.

This behaviour does not make your son a poor sleeper- just a baby with different needs.. He does not have to be punished or taught to need differently- you simply have to create a system that will work within his needs.
    (FWEIW - my second daughter is the type who can be put down to sleep while still awake)
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2008