Do you believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do?

That didn't come out right.

Do you think your parents did the best job they could raising you?

I actually wish they did a little better. I would have loved it if we only bought what we needed and not what we wanted. I would have loved to learn how to budget my money at an early age. I think if my parents taught me this early on, I wouldn't have had the financial problems I do now. I would have scrimped and saved EVERYTHING I made, spending money only on what I needed (car note, gas, car insurance, and the brick Nokia T-Mobile cell phone). If I did that, I would have been FINE, not scrambling at the age of 30. (Well, almost 30.)

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 1:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Shit, no. I think my parents failed miserably, more specifically my mother. I can't think of anything she actually did right. Now that I'm a mother, I just do the opposite of what my parents would have done.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No parent does a perfect job, but I do wish my dad would have raised me and my sister. They got divorced when i was in 2nd grade, my sister was just a toddler. After that, my mom got into drugs & alcohol and it just worsened with time. I saw a lot of crap growing up that I shouldnt have. My mom always told me, wait til you have kids, you'll understand why i do the things I do. And now that I have my son, it makes me even more angry with her. But when I was 13 I got into trouble and I was sent to live with my dad. He was strict, and actually made me mind. At the time, i hated it, but now I respect him, and understand that the ways he handled situsations were the right way. I just didnt have structure or anything when I was with my mom. Now Im 19, have a 2 year old, and I see my dad almost every day, and I'm really close to him. But with my mom, everytime we talk, we argue. But, if I could choose, I would have my dad raise me.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think my parents could have done a better job by communicating with other parents, reading books about psychology and parenting, and staying in touch with what was going on in other families. They isolated themselves and in doing so made a lot of mistakes. I do think there was no malice in my parents. I think they set out wanting to do a good job but were so old fashioned that they wouldn't change or grow.

lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 1:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes, they did, and I thank them everyday for it.

Answer by older at 1:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I do believe that my parents did the best they knew how to do, and I don't know of a thing that I wish they had changed.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• no. my dad abandoned me and my mother was a complete alcoholic who gave me away all the time.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 1:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i think they did their best with me! but my brother is a different story! its like i had all the rules and got grounded but he could get away with murder a swear! he does drugs in the house, has girls spend the night, stays out all night, just dropped out of school on monday, got arrested twice!! really did my parents just give up or wat!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes! I grew up knowing with out any doubt that I was loved. Never once EVER did I think otherwise. I may not have had everything I needed or wanted but I had two parents who worked very hard and showed me that no matter what they cared. I think thats the most important thing you cn give your child...the mental stability of "KNOWING without any doubts that they are love unconditionally" and I pray that my own children "know" that I love them unconditionally...forever and ever..for eternity.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 1:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• The best job? I'm not sure, because I have never asked them specific questions about how they parented me. If I was to ask them for instance- Did you not know how to teach me, or were you just lazy? If they truly didn't know how, then they did the best they could. If they were just lazy or naive, then they didn't do their best in raising me. I wish things could have been different. I wish they had taught me so much more. But all I can do is learn from them and teach my children what I wish I had been taught.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My parents did better than their parents did with them. And I hope I've learned from them to be a better parent myself. I think that's the point. Every generation gets a little better.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 1:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010