Do you think that beauty magazines promote low self esteem?

As much as I enjoy leafing through them, I think so. Kids see the pictures in the magazines and wish to look like them and realize that they never will. Some people spend decades trying to be comfortable in their own skin.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 1:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Well, yes I do, but I do enjoy looking through them too. I guess I was raised with a value of self-esteem, but as I get older, it's harder and harder not to want something done. Even men out there do not know what a real woman is supposed to look like. So, not only does it affect women, it affects men too. It's a tough world. It gets tougher with age, unfortunately. By age 40, most women feel like unless they get something done, it's over for them. That's just sad.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• yes but at least it's become more well known that the models do not wake up looking like that. Stylists spend hours getting them ready then of course the editors spend hours air brushing away flaws.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Those beautiful women only affect those who have no self confidence and are not liking themselves, I never compare myself to them because I am uniquely me, but I can see why some would...

Answer by older at 1:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Everything is aribrushed! Fake is what they promote with the plastic surgery too.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• m-avi makes a good point too - but I can tell you at 50 - you just don't care what other ppl think and that is SO liberating!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Promote might be too strong of a word - and one must keep in mind that everything is idealized in media and fashion. Best to take the ideas and looks that are presented and make them your own - create a personal style sense.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• yes i agree! I can't stand looking at those things! UGH!
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Oh,absolutely. It's totally the difference between reality and make believe. Photo enhancers like airbrushing makes everyone look effortless and thinner in photos.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 7:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2010