13 month old not drinking milk..

My 13 month old has gone on a milk strike. Any suggestions to get her past this?

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son wasnt a big fan of milk of a while, it wasnt until like a month after we completely stopped nursing that he started to like it, I think it was just a taste thing for him. Milk is not that necissary, there are other things that you can feed them for the calcium. Do they like cheese or yogurt? Thats another good way to get dairy in there system.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 1:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yes, I supplement with other foods so she can get calcium and vitamin D. I wasn't so sure if milk was a necessity or not lol.
    Marix3

Comment by Marix3 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My son has always like milk, but he has a cousin who went through that around the same age. They kept trying milk (at least once a day), but they also gave her yogurt and cheese to make sure she got enough calcium each day. Is it that she's never liked it, or did she drink it for a while and then suddenly reject it? If she liked it at one time, it may be a phase. My son has rejected foods or drinks and then suddenly liked them again. I just kept trying to offer them. One thing you can do if they won't even try it, is mix regular milk with either formula or expressed breast milk, and then gradually increase the amount of regular milk in the ratio once they start to get used to it.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Pam19, at 12 months she started refusing formula and I have yet to get her to start drinking formula or whole milk again. I bought toddler formula and she just refuses it.
    Marix3

Comment by Marix3 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• That's too bad, but as long as she gets enough calcium other places (like cheese, leafy green veggies, and even calcium fortified foods like juice or cereal), she'll probably be fine. I know we often end up putting milk in recipes too, so they get it that way as well. I wouldn't stop trying though, because you never know if she'll suddenly accept it. Maybe try a new fun looking cup with straw or just anything that makes it seem fun to try, and only try a few ounces at a time. I'm sure some people add chocolate or strawberry flavor to make it more appealing too. That's up to you if you want to try that now or wait until she's older. I was afraid my son would start rejecting it plain if I introduced it too soon, so we're waiting, but if he was already rejecting it I might have tried it myself. I don't know. Good luck!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• my son had that issue at around 15 months and i told his doctor about it and she just suggest 2 try chocolate, strawberry, syrup or use his milk 2 make him smoothies or milk shakes, and he drinks his milk just fine now n i still make his milk shakes n smoothies from time 2 time
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'd just go with it. As long as she's getting a balanced diet, which it sounds like, no problem. Milk isn't necessary. Water is fine for hydration.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. Keep offering it but don't stress over it. As long as he gets the nutrition from other sources, you're doing just fine.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My son never liked milk. Our pediatrician wasn't concerned because he loved foods that gave him plenty of calcium (yogurt, cheese, etc). He's now 3 1/2 and as healthy as can be :) I think as long as she is getting enough calcium from other sources, then it's just fine!
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2010