My niece is 25 years old and Autistic with the mentality of a 3 year old now my question is how to explain to her that don't pour this out or stop her frm eating or drinking what's not nailed down because I do have a 5 year old that hates it when she do stuff like this to hi8m and I'm stuck in the middle on what to do so any suggestions?

mommys1luv

Asked by mommys1luv at 1:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Shopping

• If it's specific items you don't want touched, maybe you could photocopy and laminate (clear contact paper works well) a STOP sign and then tape it to the things you don't want touched. Generally you need to find some way to make it visual. Make a list of things (use pictures) on the refrigerator of things she CAN have if she's hungry.
    If it's that she's eating off of other people's plates, then that could take time but someone needs to sit next to her at meals and continue to redirect her hands.

Answer by missanc at 1:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I had a hard time following your post, however, the PP seems to know what's going on. I'd look into what she's talking about.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have a 23 yr old dd with aspergers and a 6 yr old ds...my daughter acts up when she is anxious and will do stuff and she does not even know why. It is her way of communicating because she is socially clueless. I can't even have a conversation with her without walking on eggshells wondering when she is going to start crying from her own frustration. The way she is around her brother really bugs me and I have to be very careful how to tread with her. You can feel free to pm me and we can take more that way if you would like
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Also my daughter will eat anything with sugar and dairy so those things have to be hidden because she is compulsive and does not know when to stop eating.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010