Anyone else resentful of all your kids' homework?

I love my kids and generally love watching them participate in activities. However, when it comes to their school work/projects, Ifeel like their homework is my homework! They are constantly working on projects, reports, speeches, etc. I spend a great deal of time encouraging, reminding , and sometimes just pushing them to get things done. They are 7 and 9! I often feel like the teachers' expectations are unrealistic if the kids can't get things done on there own. Am I wrong to think this way?

happycboys

Asked by happycboys at 1:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 7yo spends at least 3 hours a day doing homework and studying for all her tests. Sometimes she is still not done by bedtime and it kills me. Some days I just write a note to the teacher that we had something to do and had no time for the homework. I can understand maybe an hour of homework. It leaves us no time to play together.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• This stage is where you set up a study habit, it can be a pain in the neck, I did this with all my three until they got to jr. high then I said you are on your own, and guess what all the painful days of doing homework paid off, this too shall pass.....

Answer by older at 2:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Educationally, this country is failing. It is unreasonable to expect children to gain proficiency in everything they need to know during classroom time alone.  Homework and projects reinforce what was taught during class time.  Not only do I appreciate my daughters homework, I supplement her lessons with additional material for her to learn.

Sure, homework takes time.  Of course there are times when there are things I'd rather be doing.  But we have study and homework time each and every night, regardless of if the school has sent work home.  I'm working to make this time a habit, so that it will just become natural for her to dedicate time to her work each day. 

aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• There have been a few projects that have really gotten on my nerves.. Resentful? No. Irritating? Yes.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No, I'm not.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:44 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No - it's not about me, my feelings, or my convenience ... it's about her learning what she needs to learn.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Nope. It's a lot to balance sometimes, but I knew that when I chose to have 3 kids! My daughter's homework, activities, and events definitely keep us busy, that's for sure - but homework is really important and I'm glad they're getting a good education.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 6:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Not me. I'm glad they work so diligently on their lessons and are doing so well in school.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I completely understand! When my kids were little, they did homework for 2-3 hours a night. I thought that was excessive. I think reports that take up two entire weekends are excessive. Frankly, homework does not equate excelled learning. Giving a child down time to play outside, read for entertainment, draw, etc. etc. etc. is beneficial to to them and to you. Unfortunately it doesn't get any better when they go on to high school. We did homework while I made dinner, put it aside for dinner, and finished while I cleaned up for dinner. Now that they are in college, when they are home, they have to clean up after dinner and they have often wished to the excuse of "doing homework" again! LOL
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My kids are also 7 and 9 and I believe somedays they have too much homework also. I try to have them in bed by 8:30 or 9:00, but it's virtually impossible with all the homework they have.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 8:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2010