Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Custody of a sibling

It is possible than my 16 year old sister will come to live with my family. What kind of legal documentation do I need to be able to do parental things, like enrolling her in school?

Answer Question

Asked by beckster_01 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 3 (26 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • If I'm not mistaken you'll have to have custody rights, which would mean her parents signing custody over to you. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

    Answer by MamaPyratekk at 1:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • I think the above is correct. Or if the parents have been or are out of the picture you still need to petition the court for parental custody. You can always ask a family law lawyer for free advice on this as well.

    Answer by vbruno at 3:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • All you need is a certified(notarized) document signed by all parites including your sister. As she is 16 and can legally sign for herself. The document must state clearly that you will be assuming legal responsibility for her and must include medical and educational provisions.(in case of an emergency as well as day to day care) It MUST BE NOTARIZED WITH ALL PARTIES SIGNATURES. If everyone is not in agreement then court is where you have to go. It's called third party custody.

    Answer by MissyJo68 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.