How do you bundle your new baby up for winter?

I bought one of those like winter coat bag type of things, but it's so chunky when I put him the carseat, it's a tight squeeze. I also have one of those covers that goes over the carseats. Just wondering what other mom's do... Maybe there's something easier...

EverydayMomma

Asked by EverydayMomma at 2:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wanted to add this link too, but I had to go over to Facebook to find it. This woman has some good safety tips on car seats and winter coats, and she has pictures showing examples of what to do and what not to do.

How To Safely Wear a Winter Coat in a Car Seat
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You shouldn't put babies in bulky coats when they are in the carseat.  It's dangerous because in an accident the coats compress and the straps are suddenly very loose.

We just always put the kids in their seats just like normal and cover them with their coats.  For the baby he goes in and is covered with several warm blankets.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i have one of theose covers for the baby. That has fleece in it and i can put him in a onesis and a pair of pants and he sweats so i think that the car seat bundles are the best thing.
    ashley451985

Answer by ashley451985 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If using an infant carrier, just put baby in clothes, maybe a thin, fleece jacket, and use blankets AFTER buckling up, before leaving the house. In convertibles, thin fleece, thin jacket, blanket if needed over harness, or backward coat over harness.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Car seats and coats are not always a good mix (depends on bulky they are). We usually dressed him in layers and used blankets over the car seat carrier.

Cars Seats and Coats
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• That's one thing I don't have to worry about. I live in AZ and it's still reaching the upper 80's right now. I know with my daughter, when it was cold enough, I would dress her in warm clothes and put her in the car seat with a heavy blanket over her. But cold to me is waking up to it being in the upper 30's - low 40's.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 12:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Thanks! I'm going to take the coat thing back. It's too bulky. The carseat cover seems pretty warm, and I can still put blankets on him when it gets super cold. By the way, I'm jealous of lovebugs_mom! I'm a Missouri mom, and we had a really really bad winter last year, predicted to have one just as bad this year, yuck!
    EverydayMomma

Comment by EverydayMomma (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2010