Coupons or discount store?

Trying to stay within a budget, but still buy the same amount of items, do you come out ahead using coupons, or going to discount stores like Aldi, Dollar General, Save A Lot, Family Dollar, etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I do both. I'll buy name brand if I can find a coupon for what I need and if the ending price would be less than store brand, otherwise I use the discount stores. I know that Save A Lot and Dollar General will also take manufacturer's coupons, even internet coupons, and Save A Lot has coupons for its own brands on their website. Combine all those, and it's usually very easy to stay under budget.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I do the coupons and down load coupons and print coupons for kroger. I have saved this year alone about two thousand dollars and the year is not over yet. I just go through the ad and match sale items with my coupons. Dollar stores are good for cleaning and paper suppiles.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It depends on what you need. I would pay full price for cheese of any kind at kroger before I would spend 50 cents more at aldi-and yes, I did check the prices. I won't buy their cheap generic ass cheese when I can get brand name 50 cents cheaper on sale at kroger.

I also find the stuff like tp, paper towels, toothpaste, razors, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, pads, tampons, makeup and all kinds of other things can be obtained for free at walgreens or cvs using their cash back bucks they hand out at the end of a transaction and using a coupon. If you have a 5 dollar item on sale for 4 bucks with 2 bucks cash back and you use a 1 buck coupon, you pay 1 buck. if you have a 2 buck coupon, you get it free, sometimes , if you're lucky, you get more back than you spent---I had a 2 buck coupon for a 3 buck item, with a buck cash back....they paid me to buy it lol!
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 6:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I do both coupons and Family Dollar. My family and I live in a rural farming community where there's not much there. We have thrift stores, Family Dollar and WalMart in our area.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I usually check the flyers to see how I can match coupons to sales... but so many coupons are for processed foods, that I really don't use them all that much. I'll check Dollar Tree or 99-cents stores every now and then, but I'm mindful that these stores usually have smaller sizes than what you'd get in the grocery store. I actually get my best savings shopping at Vons with the store coupons they put out each week.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 12:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I prefer Meijers but I do buy some things at Walmart. I do use coupons and Meijers has the mealbox instore coupons that you can get online. You can actually double up and use a manufacture coupon with a store coupon for the same item. Couponmom.com is an great site for not only sales but coupons and ways to save money while shopping. Sale shopping is also a big part of the trick. Buy when on sale and when I have coupons too!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I also do both. I only buy name brands if it's on sale or I have a coupon.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:46 AM on Nov. 7, 2010