I need some crafting ideas for my 3 yr old and 5 yr old. Any Suggestions?

MaggieNSamsMom

Asked by MaggieNSamsMom at 2:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• do you have a joann fabric store near you? or a michaels? walmart has a section too of craft kits. Home Depot and Lowes do crafts for kids on certain weekends and they are free! We go to all of those!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• also, my kids love to do treasure hunts in the house...I hide things and then give them a map and clues to find the hidden treasure.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• you could make some bread dough ornaments! I think it's one cup salt to two cups flour,and enough water to form a smooth, workable play dough. We used cookie cutters to cut out the ornaments, and then you can decorate them as you please with little pieces of dough, pop them in the oven, 300* for a couple hours. Get creative, you can make hair with a garlic press for Santa's beard, or make little leafs tp stick on a wreath. You can color half the dough with cinnamon, so that you can have two toned ornaments. I used to paint mine with poster paint after they cooked hard, and then put a coat of varathane on them. You can bake the hooks right into the ornaments, makes it easier to hang them. Have fun! If the ornaments are sealed really well with varathane, and kept dry in a can or box through the year, you can use them for years, even add to them if you want!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Pasta Crafts and More!  The Pasta People activity looks like fun.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Make cookies from scratch with them and then decorate them. I put wooden lolly pop sticks in the cookies as they bake so the cookies so they look like big suckers but they're cookies on a stick. Fun! then share with G'ma & G'pa.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 2:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My kids like finger painting, also with the holidays coming up baking cookies and decorating them, there is always play dough, my 7 year old likes beading necklaces with the bigger beads for the little ones
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 2:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Craft stores have little wooden things from 50cents and up that they can paint. Finger painting. Make a collage from cut out pictures from old magazines. Start making Christmas/holiday cards.....you can cut little squares of paper for them to decorate, then when they are done, glue them to the cards to send off for family and friends. Make homemade ornaments. Homemade playdough. Noodle necklaces or pictures.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• walmart has a new line of kids crafts that might be helpful. Constation paper, crayons to make things. Now that christmas is here almost oraments for the tree, scrapbooking, baking cookies. Look on website and magazine called family fun and they have lots of ideas that might help.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• orientaltrading.com sells little craft kits, too. You can use their kits or get the supplies at the craft store (joann's michaels ac moore). I always love Popsicle stick crafts, like gluing them together to make snowflakes and then decorating with buttons, glitter, paint or ribbon/lace.
    juliawerre

Answer by juliawerre at 12:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2010