When is bedwetting a concern?

My daughter is 5, and I have to put a pull up on her every night. She "uses" it just about every night. When should I worry? I limit her drinks at night, I make her use the restroom before bed, etc, but she still must have a pull up to avoid accidents. Is this normal for a 5 yr old?

MaggieNSamsMom

Asked by MaggieNSamsMom at 2:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• It can be VERY normal! My DS wet the bed until he was almost 6. As the PP said it can be related to bladder size and being a deep sleeper. With my DS since his bed time was 7:30 I would wake him up at 10-10:30 when I went to bed to go potty and go back to bed. I started this when he was almost 5 and continued to do so until he was able to wake up on his own at least a few nights a week.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have a son that is still wetting the bed at 7 years. I was told to take them in at 5-6 to rule out any problems like bladder infections. However, the MD reassured me bedwetting was common in boys and that he may wet the bed right into middle school. He said it was related to their bladder size and how deep they sleep.
    happycboys

Answer by happycboys at 2:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• that makes sense, and is reassuring! Thanks for the replies.
    MaggieNSamsMom

Comment by MaggieNSamsMom (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010