Are any of you considering a doula?

I am a doula and every time I am asked and tell people what I do for a living people rarely know what it means or associate me with a midwife. I know that the community of people who do know what a doula is highly values them.

I'm wondering how many of you would have a doula attended birth if you could or if you are planning on it already.

gypsyjewels

Asked by gypsyjewels at 2:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a doula for both of my births. I don't regret it, that's for sure. It was very nice to have someone there to do whatever I needed them to do. The extra support was invaluable.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If I could have afforded it I would have had one for both of my pregnancies and births! If my insurance will cover it when I have another child in the future, I will jump on the option!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 2:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I had a doula in training at my last birth, and I would love to have her again, BUT, I can not afford her services this time. When she was still in training, she was free, but now that she is done with her training, she costs money. LOTS of money.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 3:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Some insurance companies are now paying for Doula! I have a tax ID number and can bill insurance myself (I am a Doula)
    Also, ASK if your doula will lower her fee or work out a Trade for her services! I know most here in Alaska will do just that. My last client paid me in Salmon! talk about a deal! :)

If you really cannot afford one, try to find Doula's in training. Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• my doula went out of town n 4 days later i gave birth without her, so needless 2 say i would as long as i know he or she isnt gonna go off to virginia beach or anywhere else when it gets close 2 my due date. the support is wonderful n they really care and are there through it all ... i have a doula now and she goes 2 my doc appointments with me, we do prenatal yoga 2gether, she goes 2 my birthing classes when my hubby cant b there cause of work, shes just so awesome, n now we r just waiting till march 2 welcome this lil boy. i have developed a wonderful friendship with her
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Some do it as volunteers! Some have sliding-scales or accept trade-barter...
    And some hospitals have doula programs, offering them (free) to mothers who request one.

:-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would have loved one with my first pregnancy as I was pretty much alone so the extra support would have been lovely but coudn't afford it.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2010