when does babble count as words?

My 5 month (will be 6 months on the 12th) old son babbles constantly. For awhile he was just saying "ma" and "da" in the mix of other things. Today he clearly said "ma ma" but in the middle of his normal babble.

Does that count? haha or does he have to look at me and say "ma ma". Or just say it on it's own (without all of the other babble) haha I dunno. But I'm excited :).

maybaby08

Asked by maybaby08 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's when they associate the sound with the object. If he's crying and reaching towards you and says "ma ma" then I'd say it's words but not if he's just babbling away on his own. My niece was saying "da da" at 7 months even though she had never met her father. It's just easy sounds to make...
    Anonymous

• I think it counts as words if the sound is intentional...like, the twins will be "mmmmmm"ing and then go "mamama..." and when I look at them (specifically Jackie) and tell her to say mama, she'll repeat it. I say it's real words!!!!
    mommamiller0809

Answer by mommamiller0809 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• It counts as a word when he uses it the same way, to mean the same thing, without prompting and you come to understand what he means. Once you KNOW that he is saying "EEE" for tree, then it's a word. If you point to the tree, ask him to say tree, and he says "EEE", it may or may not be a word. He may just be copying the sound you made or he may be associating the sound with the tree. Once he says it on his own, then it's a word.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Darn hehe I knew it probably wasn't words, but I thought I'd ask anyway :) Thanks ladies!
    maybaby08

Answer by maybaby08 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I think the word has to have context to it, sorry. :) Otherwise, my two month old has said "uh-oh", "hey", "cow", and, somehow, "horse". LOL!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• joshua said da-da a few weeks ago and on halloween i was trying to wake chris up while holding josh and he pointed at chris and said da-da...idk how that happend but im assuming hes a genious baby or soemthing :) i wish he wouldve said ma-ma though
    lululovexox

Answer by lululovexox at 12:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Alycia says dadadada lol but has not idea what it means so i dont count it as a word, my husband does of course lol
    mom2sierrarose

Answer by mom2sierrarose at 1:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Hey, my babe had been babbling dadadadada for weeks... and on Halloween she started saying mamamamamama... counts for me!!! Lol...

Now we point to dad and say "dada", her and say Zoe, and me and say "mama".. she's starting to get it... :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 12:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008