Psoriasis vs Cradle Cap?

I've heard that psoriasis can be passed on genetically, and I've got it on my scalp. Lately, I've noticed terrible dandruff in my son's hair, and upon examining his scalp have found terrible patches of the stuff. What I'm curious to know is whether or not this could just be cradle cap? I don't know much about it, but I've heard it's a similar skin condition... I also noticed that sometimes near the end of the day before his bath the skin between his eyebrows gets rough, yellowish, and dry. I don't know if it's connected or not. What can I do for him? :(

lyricsoprano90

Asked by lyricsoprano90 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Usually the best thing to do is have a doctor attempt a diagnosis when you notice something new, and then for many things they can be treated at home from that point on (if they're mild conditions). More severe conditions may require prescriptions. My son had cradle cap, and we used Gentle Naturals Cradle Cap Care and a fine tooth comb to remove the flaky, yellow scales. It helped a lot, but it takes a couple shampoos to get it out. A little goes a long way. My son also has eczema and we've used a cream from the same brand above and a Rx when it's more severe. I'm not sure about psoriasis, but here's a link that might help you learn more about cradle cap and other skin conditions.

eczema psoriasis foundation
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• my dd has a small amount of cradle cap. It isn't too bad so I haven't done anything yet, my mom told me it'll go away soon
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• only my girls have gotten cradle cap. my oldest (2 1/2) now has eczema. it seems to be triggered by coconut and its byproducts. i thought it was mainly from contact, but i fed her an almond joy the other day and her skin got worse, and she had that dryness in the eyebrows as well.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010