I have wondered for years why don't more people become Organ Donars?

JazzyJes

Asked by JazzyJes at 3:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Health

• Anon - organ donation laws vary from state to state. For example, it was only in the last year or so that Michigan gained "first person consent" laws - prior to that time, even if the deceased had wanted to donate the final decision was up to family.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Many people cling to myths about organ donation and aren't aware that organ donation is supported by most major religions and that being an organ donor does not mean that all steps won't be taken to save their lives. There are strict regulations governing the use of donated organs and strict regulations in place to protect both donor families and recipient families.  Organ donation is a wonderful process by which one can truly save a life - and how often do we truly have the chance to do something so terribly significant?  My husband was an organ donor and when I can no longer use them, my organs will also be donated.

aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Not sure, maybe they're afraid to have someone else with their body parts. Me personally, I'm a donor and have been for as long as I can remember. I also donate my hair and blood and I am in the bone marrow registry. If I can help anyone, they can have whatever they need of mine.

I am going to have my son be a donor as well. He loves helping people with me. We are together Partners in Hope for St. Jude and he loves getting the child personal bios we get.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 3:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Because there are so many myths that people believe - the most popular one I've heard - "If I'm in an accident, and my license says donor, they're going to try to save me last or leave me to die" - SO NOT true! So many people just don't get it, don't get how many lives it saves, or just don't know about it, or are extremely uneducated about it. I'm passionate about it, because I've seen first hand how many lives it saves, how it really affects people in a good way - plus my own child will need a heart transplant some day.
    Anonymous

• some people feel they won't be awarded all possible life saving care when doctors learn they are organ donors

my husband isn't because he says he's not sure his parts won't be used for research and experiments. if he was assured that they would ONLY be used to save lives then he would.

i myself am an organ donor because I believe I won't need them whereever I go after here.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Many people are organ donors but when that time comes "families" have a hard time signing the paperwork. Yes, even if it says you are an organ donor on your license it doesn't mean anything unless your family allows your organs to be taken. Make your wishes known too all the members in your family so if something should happen your wishes will be followed..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Actually midnightmomma, that's kind of another myth - if YOU sign a donor registration card, NO ONE can say "no, you can't take his/her organs". Yes, if there's nothing YOU have signed, then it is up to your spouse/family, but if you go online to your state's donor registry site, YOU can choose exactly what organs you do & don't want donated, YOU will recieve a card in the mail to sign & send back, and NO ONE can then say "no". If your license says "yes" and they look you up in the network and see that you're registered, they can & will take your organs. If they look you up and you're not there, it's family's decision, if they look you up and you are registered to NOT be an organ donor they cannot take anything, even if your family says yes yes yes.
    Anonymous

• Yes anon you are correct BUT most people do not know to go that far.. Most could not tell you where to register or the name of the company and many believe as long as it states so on their licences then they are a donor...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• And very well-said, Alice!
    Gaccck

• Thank you ladies for the quick responses....In this day and age I wonder why it just don't cross more minds..I know alot of people who have lost someone close but NEVER heard "Was he/she a donor?"...I guess Religions and other beliefs play a big part in one's decision but why not save a life or at least try!!!...I saw a womans story who got a young girls heart and her mom got to meet her and hear her daughters heartbeat again...That was sad..
    JazzyJes

Comment by JazzyJes (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010