Pet Insurance? Does anyone have this and is it worth it?

I was wondering if anyone has purchased pet insurance? About how much is the monthly rate and what does it cover? Is it really worth it or is it better to just have a "pet fund' and save money there.

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Its not worth it it doesnt cover alot of things in fact most of the things you need it for. Get a pet fund you'll save more money!
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I work for a vets office. It is totally worth it the first year when you are doing shots and boosters and spaying/neutering. After that it is hit or miss how much it will save you vs. cost depending on the health of your pet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• But Mommie is right.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I've seriously considered getting it for my animals but I'm not sure which company is the best to go with. I've looked into it though and I think we'll be getting it shortly
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I love Rottweilers and have owned 3 and they all have had major health issues. My first dog Hailey was about 3 and she got sick with an autoimmune disease and had to have blood transfusions etc.. and it cost us a small fortune she passed away from a blood clot due to the meds.

Then we had/have a brother and sister Morgan and Brutus. They both would have turned 10 on Nov 15 2010 but Morgan died on Nov 3 2010 and brutus was just diagnosed with a 99% probability that he has bone cancer. He has 3-6 months.It has been a hard time for us the past week.

I was thinking in the future when we get another dog that I should look into the pet insurance, for the reasons stated.The vet is very expensive but the animals are worth it..they are family
    Sunflower722

Comment by Sunflower722 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• dancinintherain- Any large or xlarge breed are prone to certain diseases or aliments that smaller dogs might not be.I love Rottweilers and I think they are an excellent breed. My two recent Rotts lived and 1 is still alive till 10 years and that is considered a good life span for them. I will again in the furture purchase another Rottweiler.
    Sunflower722

Comment by Sunflower722 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I can't stand human insurance, and would never purchase pet insurance. Human medical costs were reasonable and affordable for more than 95 % of the population until insurance was invented. Within a decade the cost of everything skyrocketed and the quality of care nosedived. I've done cost comparisons of vets all around the area and in the three nearest cities. The ones that push pet insurance have the highest rates, insist on twice yearly checkups (for pets under the age of five and otherwise healthy), and I'm just not going to contribute to making it so that ONLY the elite/wealthy can own a pet. That is medieval.

Fwiw, I worked as a vet tech for almost 14 years and have owned my own business. I understand the overhead, taxes, upkeep, and payroll. None of that justifies pet insurance, or jacking up office visit costs to more than a minimum wage paycheck ~ and there are vets here (and elsewhere) who do. Not on my dime!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• cont. ~ Just for the record, I have over 70 animals right now including an equine. I spend a lot already on vet care (and am very thankful that I CAN do most of my own shots, worming, hoof care, etc.). I've got an emergency kit that makes some EMT's ill equipped. I also won't hesitate to call a vet in an instant, even when I'm broke. A good vet is worth their weight in gold imo ~ so pick and choose carefully.

Don't settle for one that doesn't handle your pet the way you would, who won't explain things to you, or who doesn't have a clue about nutrition beyond what a pet food salesperson tells them. Same goes for if the office/exam rooms are dirty, office staff is regularly rude, or if the vet is rude/arrogant. A good vet cares. Yes they have to pay the bills and still make a living ~ but the good ones still care, and so does the staff.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• lol no
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 11:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I hate to tell you but Rottweilers are know fo rbad health. It is because they are over breed in America and are inbreed. You might want to attempt another breed. I am sorry I have no experience with pet insurance.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 4:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2010