What is your cheapest healthy meal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Um, I guess I would say chicken tacos using ground chicken meat. Not too expensive, but then is anything cheap these days?! lol
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Potato Soup with an grilled sandwich.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 3:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Tough call, the way I shop a lot of my groceries are free or near free. Absolute cheapest would probably be stir fry or beans and rice. It's rare for any meal to cost us more than $5, so below that, it's all kind of relative.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Turkey burgers; pasta salad with garlic toast on the side
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think tacos can be quite economical depending upon what you put in them. You can use leftover meats like beef, chicken, etc. and anything else you like putting into them to make them a favorite pretty cheaply. If you buy the ingreidents on sale, even homemade pizza can be quite cheap.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Soup, salad, and sandwich. Filling and not very expensive.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Whole chicken roasted with potat0s and veggies. Followed by chicken soup the next day and salad. It's cheap because it makes 2 meals. About $ 15-20 for the 2 meals together. Feed a family of 4 with left overs... from both.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• homemade "hot pockets". I make the dough from scratch (flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt, oil) and the filling is cream of whatever w/ shredded carrots and usually peas or whatever else I have on hand. stick it in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Ham bean soup with cornbread. I buy a package of diced ham and put half of it in my crock pot with a big package of dried navy beans or great white northern beans (after sorting and rinsing the beans). Cover with water to where it's covers the beans by 2-3 inches. Toss in a few bay leaves, some Mrs Dash southwestern chipotle, about 1/2 tsp salt, and some garlic and onion powder. Cover and let it cook on high 5 hours or so or until the beans are soft. If it starts to dry out, add a little more water that has been warmed on the stove top. I normally make homemade cornbread, but you can get the 50 cent package of corn muffin mix and just make it with egg whites and low fat milk in place of the eggs and milk and it's healthier.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Owl_Feather~~that sounds really good! Do you add milk to the soup or anything?
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010