Do your children run around the store when you are shopping?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes sometimes they do. but other times I keep them busy keeping with the shopping. Make a game of it and try to have them find a color you name or even a letter you name. Have them find items on your list. If all else fails do a reward system or like me and go if possible when you can go by yourself. I go when girls are in school and husband is here if they need someone. Then you can just relax and have a stress free shopping trip.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No. I'd take them to the bathroom and do something about it.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No. Its not the store or stores personnels job to babysit. Not to mention I would be afraid that someone would take them.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 4:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No, I used to hate when people did that when worked in retail during college, and they rarely cleaned up after their kids either. I have a toddler, so he's either in a shopping cart, a stroller, or holding my hand depending on where we are and how busy it is. I'm not sure what age I would let him walk around on his own while I shop, I guess I'll have to wait and see what age I think he can handle it. I'll probably have him stick close by for a long time though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• When I worked retail I hated kids who were not with a parent. Not one of them behaved, they messed up sections and would disturb other shoppers while the mother or father was off doing what ever thinking their kids are behaving all the while the kids were acting like monsters. Then the parent would come get the kid and would assume the mess had always been there and that their precious angel would never do that. I wanted to slap each and every parent. Now, I no longer work for retail but it's the same crap when I go shopping they get in my way, cause a mess I have been run into by running kids a few times and if you're a parent who lets their kids wander off don't you dare sit there and say your kid would never do that. You don't know you're not with them. When I have kids they will not be leaving my side until they are in their teens. (Not that teens are any more behaved)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I used to work in an upscale clothing store and the parents would let the children go wild, never understood that...kids climbing in clothes racks, knocking over displays.....my daughter stays with me, I do not allow her to wander off....kids get stupid when left to their own devices....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• no they have more control than that
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 3:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• ha no. I find that tacky of the parents and unsafe for the children.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 4:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• They don't "run" around (at least I hope they don't) but my 10,9 and 8 year olds aren't required to stay by my side in stores any more.  They usually wander off to the toy section and come find me when they're done looking or I find them.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• yes sometimes
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2010