Do you let your kids stay up late during Summer? I've been "put down" by a neighbor for letting my girls stay up past "bedtime" during Summer!

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids go to bed about 8 during school hours and then 9 in the summer. the ages are 9,7, and 5. But do not let other people tell you when to put your kids to bed. That should be what works for you and your family. And if not causing trouble I see no problem with it.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My daughter goes to bed at the same time year round. I chose her bedtime based on how much sleep a child needs, not according to weather, daylight, my own schedule or convenience, or any other factor. Sure, she stays up late every once in a while on special occasions - but aside from that, her bedtime is there because it is healthy to have a routine and healthy to get adequate sleep.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Bedtime is later in the summer for my kids.  During the school year they go to bed at 8pm.  In the summer it's still daylight out at 8pm.  They usually don't even come inside until it gets dark (around 8:30).  Therefore bedtime is 9pm in the summer and, occasionally, they stay up until 10pm if they are behaving.  Usually they are wiped out after running around outside all day so they are ready for bed at 9pm.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• That is what summer is for!! I remember being a kid and summer was great because you got to stay up later and it was the same with my daughter. She got to stay up later and she loved it.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My kid's bedtime is based on how much sleep they need - and that doesn't change with the seasons!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• of course you can stay up later in the summer.

lacyjones, how the hell would her kids staying up later be disturbing the neigboorhodd?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Your neighbor would hate me then, we don't have a bed time... My kids are up til 11 or 12 every night - summer, winter, whenever... Maybe once they start school that will change, but for now, it works...

Why is it any of your neighbors business when your kids go to bed?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• As long as your not disturbing the N'hood and the opinionated neighbor... its your household do what you want. and tell the neighbor to mind their own doorstep, you'll mind your. BUT, If your disturbing everyone, then you need to set better limits.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 4:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Yup I sure do and when I was growing up we got to stay up late during the summer and even went to "Lock in all night skate's" at the local skating ring but we always got put in "training" about 1-2 weeks before school started back to get us back used to going to bed early and getting up early for school.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 4:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Most nights during summer they are still in bed at bed time. The thing is 2-3 days a week both DH and I are both at works so they have to still get up for daycare. I se no issue if you are not going anywhere the nest day though!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2010