Should I have had my daughter baptised when she was a baby?

My ex is catholic, I am baptist. They baptise infants, we don't. She is almost four but he nags me about it all the time because I wouldn't allow them to preform the baptism when she was an infant. The Bible says "repent and be baptised" so why do catholics baptized infants?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Baptist..... Well i asked my pastor this one... He said a baby is without sin... So there is no need to have it baptized.. I think you did the right thing.. Let her choose the right time... My son was 9 yrs old when he choose to be saved.. and baptized.
    LuLuMama_4Jesus

Answer by LuLuMama_4Jesus at 4:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I am Catholic... Honestly, if you don't want to baptise our child, then don't. If the dad isn't a practicing Catholic, then I'm not sure why he wants you to do it unless he is just appeasing his mom. Honestly, if you decided to let him have her baptized most priests would tell him if you are doing this to make your mom happy they recommend against it. As for the biblical precendent for it, there are places in the new testement that talk about whole families, including servants being baptized after someone's conversion....we are pretty certain that babies have been baptized since very early on in Christianity..Catholics have other writings that we consult for historical purposes....We have writings by people who knew the apostles personally (beyond what is in the Bible).....that is why not everything we believe is Biblical....and some of it is Tradition, oral and written, because the church existed before the new testement
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I am Catholic and the reason we baptize as an infant is because EVERYONE is born with sin in them and IF the baby were to die, then it would be free from sin. It isn't that the babies parents sinned. It is a way of starting out life sin free.

When you have a child with someone of a different faith, BOTH have to decide how the child will be raised, in which faith. My parents are of different faith but my dad agreed to have us raised Catholic. If he would have been a practicing Lutheran we would have been exposed to both religions and allowed to decide when we were teens. My son's father is a different faith but seeing he wasn't involved in my sons life he knew my son would be raised Catholic.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You are absolutely correct in your decision! There is no point to baptizing babies, they are sinless. A person cannot repent of sin when they don't know what sin actually is and its consequence. Baptism is strictly for the washing away of or remitting of sin. It is not a promise or show of faith that anyone other than the individual person can make for themself at an age of accountability. It is a requirement of salvation not a rite of a religion.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:58 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't get it. What good does it your dd to have water poured over her head by a priest? -Let her make up her own mind and tell your husband to stop bugging you about it!
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• he is my ex, we were never married and he says it's about him being a good catholic. I asked him if he is such a good catholic, why did he try to get me to have an abortion when I was pregnant with her......
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'm Presbyterian and we do infant baptism but it seems to be more of a promise from the parents to teach their child about God and Christ and lead them to make a decision for themselves when they get older. And we don't say anything in it about the parents having sinned. Do Catholics really think that sex is sin? I thought that's the only reason they approve of sex, is for procreation.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• This is a decision you and your ex need to come to together, it really depends on how involved each of you will be in your child's religious education.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If your daughters dad is catholic and practices the faith, then you should learn about it.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You need to tell him to get over it. She isnt an infant anymore so there is no use crying over spilled milk(so to speak).

You will raise this child to be baptized when she's ready and thats all he needs to know and care about.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010