how is spicy food suppose to put you in labor??

im trying it....lol eatting some jalapeno popers but i just dont see how its suppose to send you into labor........anyone know?? and do you have any ideas??

Mommmy_To_3

Asked by Mommmy_To_3 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'ts a myth like the one about eating chicken parmigean(sp).
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 4:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It's one of those old wives tales I think. The reasoning behind it is that spicy food could kick off contractions. Some spices do irritate the uterus in large doses, like ginger, but not in the amounts found in foods. Anyway, I love curries and hot sauce and ate that sort of stuff all the time while pregnant and still went overdue.
    matreshka

Answer by matreshka at 4:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• but what if you never eat spicy food??
    Mommmy_To_3

Comment by Mommmy_To_3 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Then you may end up with just a tummy ache.
    matreshka

Answer by matreshka at 5:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i sure hope not lol but i do got heartburn now..........
    Mommmy_To_3

Comment by Mommmy_To_3 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If baby is not ready even eating spicy food will not do it. It is a old wives tale.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It's an old wives tale but the thinking is that by eating spicy food it will upset your tummy and stimulate the uterus to contract...rarely works!
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I tried that. It didn't work. My ex's mom made me some really spicy (REALLY yummy) tacos when I was about to pop with my first. I inhaled them they were so good! She thought I was nuts! And I don't think that jalapeƱo poppers will be spicy enough... lol! I think the thought is that the spice will cause your muscles to contract. It doesn't work. Just let your body do what it is supposed to do. Naturally.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 7:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2010