• In the Spotlight:

How much milk should an 18 month be drinking in a day?

Hi everyone. I'm wondering how much milk my son should be drinking a day. We went to the dr on 11/5 for my son's 18 month check up and the dr said that my son is under weight for his age. He weighs 21.10 lbs and we've been only nursing i can't get him to drink cow's milk. i've tried everything making it with chocolate syrup and warming it up. using strawberry syrup buying chocolate and strawberry milk and he just won't drink it. I quit nursing him on thurs. per my doctors orders. She didn't think i was making enough milk to sustain him. He won't eat cheese, yogurt, or even ice cream. I don't understand. I'm worried because i've quit nursing but i'm pumping and i get about 12-16 ounces of milk a day but he won't drink it out of a bottle or even his sippy cup. He just beats on my chest saying me baby me baby and wanting my boob. It's breaking my heart. Any one have any advice? Please help. Thanks!

Misty G.

Asked by Misty G. at 5:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children are supposed to have 3 servings of dairy daily - a serving is 1 ounce of cheese, 6-8 ounced of yogurt, 8 ounces of milk, etc. So if he's eating zero dairy, he needs 24 oz of milk a day. If you can get 1 oz of cheese in him (that's not a very big peice!) then he only needs 16 oz. But if he'll drink water and juice, screw what the doctor says and let him have the boob - if he's eating table foods, your milk doesn't need to sustain him, only help him out a little.
    Anonymous

• None, if he's eating a well balanced diet. It's not NECESSARY. Nurse, if you want, but don't get hung up on cow's milk. Water is fine for hydration.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010