What do you think about parents who do drugs?

I was talking with my roommate and she told me her parents smoked marijuana when she was a kid and she knew it her whole life. Its not like she turned out to be this terrible person or anything she graduated top of her class, never got in trouble with the law, has her own house, car, great paying career and everything. So I am not saying go out and smoke marijuana when you have kids but what is your thought on OTHER parents who do drugs? Do you think society has it wrong about parents who do drugs? Do you think drugs like marijuana effect you so much you cannot parent your children? Have any of you had parents who did drugs and you have a perfectly normal life or was that the downfall in your life? Just curious about other people who have been in a similar situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• well i am a 27 year old women and i cant complain about my life cause it could be worse do to the fact that life have alot of down falls if u do not stay focus on the positive things but ,my mother smoked cocain all my life but i do think that if she had of not did drugs she could of parented me better and i would probley be further in life then were i am now for example im in school for my ged and i work for a ex-affender program but i probley would have a high school diploma bye now instead of, if she had of been more motherly and more responsible but now that i am a women with my own children i can make better decisions of my own which is why i went back to school but i can say this being a child of a parent that did drugs i was able to see the exsperience of a drug addict and make the decision not too take that rout so basically exsperience taught me to want better hope i was able to answer ur question.
    passion207

Answer by passion207 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think they are irresponsible and childish.

matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 5:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think they are not being the absolute best parents they could be, and that they consider their needs before their children. But that's just me, and I'm sure I'll get bashed for it.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Ya know, truthfully, I've never been around drugs, marijuana or otherwise. I've never even seen anyone use them. So, to me, yes, it would be awful. I wasn't really exposed to alcohol until I got into my teens, so I don't even agree with drinking and parenting... but that's just me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Growing up my parents were pretty good parents..no matter what they were on lol..Did i have to cook a few times by myself? yes...Did i grow up a tad faster? yes...but all that made me who I am today...I never ever thought my parents loved me less when they were on drugs.My childhood wasn't really different from other kids either...Now my parents are clean and say sorry all the time,but honestly I thought they were great parents..I learned a lot honestly
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think they set a bad example for their kids and it's not good parenting. They are setting up future generations to go down that same road.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Some of the best parents I've ever met smoked pot...same can be said with some of the worst that I met. It all depends on the person who smokes it.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• As far as pot,if they're doing it occasionally in a social situation like how others drink,I see no problem with it. If buying pot is coming before buying food,or they're dealing it,or high 24/7,its a whole other thing.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think it is irresponsible, it is ILLEGAL, so basically they are telling their children that it is ok to break the law and lie and hide from the police about it. Parents are suppose instill values in their children and they cannot do it properly when they are breaking the law. Really its simple.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Can't say I have ever thought about it... I know a great many parents who are wonderful with their kids - providers, loving, caring parents... And plenty others who drink or take Rx meds legally who are horrid parents, IMO... What matters is how a child is loved and cared for, not whether or not a parent uses drugs, drinks or chooses not to...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010