Do most dogs know when a mouse is in the house?

I have or had a mouse. I only remember my dog trying to get behind the television set once a couple of weeks back. My allergies were so severe and I am assuming it was because of that mouse. I saw the tell tale signs in the kitchen cabinet this morning. I let the dog sniff in there, but he wasn't interested. Shouldn't a dog know there is a mouse? Maybe it's gone? Maybe the dog just doesn't give a flying ****, I don't know. So, does anyone know about dogs and mice?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 5:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Well, there might be mouse/mice but you're less likely to know. The dog might not seem too interested because they can be there a long while without you knowing...
    You will have more luck trying to figure it out if you get a flashlight and look in all the dark, hidden places, especially around the pantry & water heater-- that's where I found poop here.
    :-(

And yes, my ancient (almost blind) dalmatian has expressed interest & even caught one...
    >>>shiver<<
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I never heard of dogs having an interest in mice but the cats sure do!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My mom has a Jack Russel. They are varment dogs. He drives her NUTS when he hears a mouse in the house. He is always right. I think if it is a Varment breed they care. My lab and blood hound would not know. We have a great mouser cat that gets them before they make in inside. He is indoor/outdoor.
    Good luck!
    My mom finds her dog's food hidden in drawers. The mice carries it off. I think her dog is defending his food. LOL
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• i have a rat terrier mix and she goes crazy for mice, squirrels, any other rodent..., set some traps if you saw poop GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010