How can I explain to my husband that he should just be encouraging to our children?

My daughter made a slide show of beautiful pictures that she took of the trees this fall and added lovely music to the background. This was her first time doing this and when she showed it to her dad, his first reaction was to squint at it and say "can't you make the pictures bigger?" Just seemed to me that he shoould've just told her what a good job she did first before he said anything else about it.

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 5:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• he should know but i would explain to him that she is looking to him for encouragement or for praise for her work... she obviously looks to daddy as the superman and he needs to play the role well... she looks up to him and he is awesome in her eyes.. he should love that and if he wants to keep it that way he needs to be better at what he says about her projects.
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You need to explain to him that if he doesn't encourage her, she will stop communicating with him, and he will miss out on her accomplishments.  Even worse,  she could stop trying to do anything new.  She sounds like an amazing child. Good thing she has a mother who gets it.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 5:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Aww. And that is what she'll remember from that too. Some people just don't think before they speak. That was pretty cool of her to do by the way. I bet it was very pretty.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• yeah he could have said wow thats very nice, but could you make the pictures a little bigger. Maybe he cant really see them very good. If he did comment that she did a good job sometime while she was showing it to him, thats a plus then. Some guys have trouble comunicating to there daughters and showing approval or affection. Maybe later talk with him calmly and let him know how girls feel and react to there dads and what they would like to hear about there projects. Good luck
    mommylee21

Answer by mommylee21 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Men can be insensative and not really mean to just talk to him he should understand.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• They are bad about speaking before they think. Just talk to him and make sure she knows you are proud.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Totally agree with earlgrey. Stress how important it is for little girls to have daddy's approval. They really do need it, it's very important, and he needs to get that. Or she will just stop communicating with him.
    I think I would have smacked the hell out of my hubby had he done something like that! Luckily, he doesn't. But, I think it will take just one good conversation for your hubby to get it.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• talk to him...explain it to him..he may not understand.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My DH does that too and it irritates the crap out of me. I have to keep reminding him that he needs to comment on the good too not just the bad. My son was trying to show him something he made in school the other day and hubby didn't even glance up from his game. Sit him down and tell him tht kids need encouragement too and you may have to remind him every so often.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• some time dads learn from their fathers i bet he will keep his foot in his mouth next time
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 9:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010