Taking meds while breastfeeding

Im nursing my 9 months old DD. Recently had a root canal and they prescribed me percacet 5mg. I'm leary about taking them. How long does it take for the medication to get out of your breastmilk?

Veronica-Lynn

Asked by Veronica-Lynn at 5:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask your Dr. and/or pharmacist to be sure.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I took percocet the first 6 months of my daughter's birth because of my c-section wound complications. My c-section incision was reopened and painful for that long. With my son, when he was 8 months old I was prescribed percocet for a tooth extraction. It did not affect either of them at all.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Well yes i was taking percacet for about a month after i had my daughter and i still didnt like taking them. I just wanna know how long it really stays in your breastmilk? I know it takes 1-2 days to get out of your system or even up to 4 days. But its it that long to get out of your milk?
    Veronica-Lynn

Comment by Veronica-Lynn (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't know the specifics, how long it's present in milk, etc, but I do know that it is safe, with a max of 30 mg per day.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• you're going to have to call your doctor or pharmacist. Your dentist probably will not know. You can also go down to a less harsh medicine like Norco sp?? its like vicodin with less aspirin.

Most medications go to your milk, like for instance, I was on Norco and my doctor said the only side effect my son would have is constipation, MAYBE. So just call and find out. And he never had constipation
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• you can also call your childs pediatrician...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 6:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Best to ask an IBCLC, check lact med online (google it) or Dr Hales book or site.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• google lact med database, it will give you the info, pharmacists and doctors are BFing idiots even when it comes to the meds they give out, lact med is a searchable databse of studies done concerning medications and BFing.

Its safe to take percocet and you have to remember that your body filters out MUCH of the medication, baby is not getting anywhere near what you are getting.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010