Breastmilk from another mom?

My fiance's sister has a baby a few months older than mine. His family is very strong about breastfeeding which I did for a few months but she is now on straight formula. His sister says it's ok for my baby to drink her breastmilk (pumped and in a bottle of course) if I wanted her to pump for me and put in bags but I think that's totally weird. Is this even healthy though? Just curious!

tiffanyjt22

Asked by tiffanyjt22 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's completely fine as long as she isn't on any medications or anything that would cause the milk to not be good for the baby... They actually even have a few places called milk banks where mothers can pay a large fee to get other mom's milk that they have donated.. so yes, it's fine.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 5:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• People actually sell breast milk now days. It is very regulated though. Not just pumped and sold. You can research it on the web.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If you really want your daughter on Breast Milk then go for it. Many moms pay a lot to get a Breast Milk donor so as long as you're okay with it, then go for it.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Someone else was asking about this earlier, well, kind of. I think it is fine as long as she is not on any meds, as the PP said, and you are comfortable with it. It is a very generous offer.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It is a much better option then formula. Take mama up on that offer because it will help baby in numerous ways.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 6:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I donate my breastmilk to a baby that was adopted and the mom could not make enough even after taking meds, the baby gets my breastmilk and is thriving...I think its a great thing for a baby to get breastmilk even when mom can not provide it
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• For me personally, formula would have been a last resort. If I couldn't have breastfed, I would rather she had gotten breastmilk from someone else before having formula. Assuming the person is healthy, of course.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think it's fine as long as she is healthy, but like you it totally freaks me out! I would not want to give my child someone elses breastmilk.
    MarcsWife05

Answer by MarcsWife05 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i am all for donating or my kids getting donated breastmilk. if ihave another child i plan to donate.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Many women donate their milk.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 3:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2010