What would you do if your child was caught shop lifting???

I work in a mall... currently working. lol.. a 12 yr old just got arrested for stealing a pair of sunglasses in one of our stores.... WOW.. if it were my kid. I dont know what I would do.. I be embarrassed,... just nuts.. if my son does that... ill send him to spend time in local jail just to get him to realize its not a game.

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 6:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would make him sweat it out a little before coming to get him. Honestly they won't take him to jail for first offense petty theft but they will hold him in the store until mom and dad come to get him or escort him home. He may or may not have to appear in juvenile court for community service. At least here. My friend got ought at 14 stealing a 20 dollar shirt. Really? Her mom held off allowing her to get her learners license for 8 months after she turned 15.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Well what ever they steal would go right back to the store and they would return it to the manager. Then when we get home we will sit down and have a long talk about why would we steal.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't know what I would do, to tell you the truth. I'm sure I'd be embarrassed, but until it happens, I really don't know how I'd handle it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would make him return it personally to the store manager. My MIl did this with my brother in law and he never stole again. Embarrassed him!

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• At that age, I would let the cops scare the living daylights out of him. He would be taken to the jail by the police, booked, fingerprinted, placed in a cell and I would take my time going to pick him up. Then, he would be grounded, do volunteer work and write a letter of apology to the store manager. Oh and while my son is at the jail, my neighbor will have a long talk with him....he is the Assistant Chief of Police.

Butmommie: where I am the cops will take a child to the jail for stealing, they won't charge them but they will take them to jail and scare the daylights out of them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010