I seriously have to ask this--why do people balk when there is a business opportunity and they have to pay for start up materials that are worth far more than the start up fee?

Seriously?

With any company that is legitimate, you will have to pay for start up kits and materials, catalogs, order forms, training stuff----etc. They aren't going to give you candles, jewelry, cosmetics, for nothing....and you need them for your demo. You need business materials. You need order forms. You need these very basic items to demonstrate your products......

You can deduct it when you file taxes----your business kit, postage, shipping, materials, pens, paper, stamps, filing cabinet, desk, gas mileage----all is deductible from your income when filing income tax-------thus----LEGITIMATE.

So why do so many people get their undies in a bundle over the start up fees?

romanceparty4u

Asked by romanceparty4u at 6:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• what business are you referring to? I am wary of ALL those types of businesses since I had a bad experience with Mary Kay and yes I willing paid the start up fee. There was other deceptions that irked me. Those businesses feed off of family friends and lies.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't have a problem with the ones that are legitimate (Avon/Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, PartyLite, etc). I have thought about becoming a Pampered Chef consultant, I just don't have the money to actually invest in the start up kit right now :( The ones that are possibly scams are the ones I am wary of.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Mary Kay is an exception to the rule LOL...as well as scamway.

If you only use friends and family to support your business, you're going to run out of business very fast. I would have run out from the get go-mine are all dead! I also won't buy "inventory". That
    romanceparty4u

Comment by romanceparty4u (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Buying "inventory" in a direct sales business as a "strong suggestion" or a "requirement" is a huge red flag for me. That's the easiest way for the company to make money only from it's reps---and the reps to lose money when stuck with "inventory". I run from any business opportunity that requires or strongly suggests inventory---it's not a necessity in any good solid mlm or direct sales company.
    romanceparty4u

Comment by romanceparty4u (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I've always wanted a business. A good reliable fresh start like lone with a material or product that would sell to anyone not just be the "old standby''. I've seen things that I'd love to sell such as video games, where I could fix them and resell for a small profit. (just parts, and labor) This day in life at our types of stressful styles of living and the way gas prices are, it's best to get something we are not going to lose much if any on for start-up, ...tax season is still 6 months away.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 6:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• yeah, You must make a 200 whole sale purchase every 3 months or loose you discount thus loosing your profit. NO ONE tole me this even when I asked about quotas. They expect you to make a first time 200 whole sale order by hounding your family and friends and having them throw parties to introduce you to new clients. 'Anyone can do well ,all it take is one good party' HA! Guess I didn't have a good party huh?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Tax season is 6 months away? !!! I'll have mine in the bank by feb 14th! As I do every year, if not sooner LOL.

For me, that's 3 months, and some odd days :)

Gotta love tax deductions, almost as good as having another kid!
    romanceparty4u

Comment by romanceparty4u (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Well, to be honest.....even avon is legitimate-
    Trouble is, everyone knows 3 avon ladies. In my circle I know 5 Avon ladies, 6 mary kay reps, 4 scentsy people, 2 gold canyon, 2 partylite, 8 lia sophia, 2 silpada. That's just in my circle. AND EVERYONE IS DOING MELALEUCA AND CALLING IT THE MOM TEAM, MOMS IN BUSINESS, HEALTHY MOMS. And, nobody is spending money on melaleuca----seriously
    You have to do something everyone else isn't doing. Or you have to be better at it, and better at getting yourself out there.
    romanceparty4u

Comment by romanceparty4u (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Not sure. I've worked at answering services and call centers and IT IS a requirement that you purchase your own equipment. I also bought my own alcohol wipes to clean the keyboard before I used it. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• LOL about the Melaleuca...I think melaleuca doesn't allow them to just say "hey I'm with Melaleuca..." perhaps because they know everyone will run in the opposite direction if they did.

Honestly I think the people that come here saying "I need a LEGIT work from home job with no start up costs" just don't understand the difference. You are NOT, I REPEAT NOT, going to find a website that has a "click here to get hired" link that will just GIVE you a job where you sit on your computer doing nothing and get a paycheck.

If you WANT to work from home...you can take your chances on a direct sales company & purchase a starter kit and work the biz to death to hopefully actualy make "income" level bucks (rather than $5-60 a week....or worse, owe more than you made from buying product) or you can start something yourself from home, whether you babysit, shovel or mow driveways/lawns, run erraqnds, sell bake goods, sell on ebay etc
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010