Anyone ever break a rib?

I fell down the basement stairs and broke my rib and I have a huge hematoma on my hip. Has anyone broke their rib? If so, how long does it take to heal? It is awful painful!

Janet

Asked by Janet at 6:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Health

• My son had some broken ribs from a motor bike accident (and other injures as well). It seemed like it was at least two months before he could cough or breath really deep without pain.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:47 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You should have it looked at by a doctor, if you havent already. Ribs protect your lungs and if one is broken without attention it can injure you further and rupture your lungs. Now that my moma speech is over with...it takes 6-8 weeks and you should keep it wrapped tight to keep it from moving/stable so not to damage yourself further...say like your lungs! If you havent had it looked at, please do so. Feel better. ok
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 6:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It took a pretty long time, although I can't remember exactly. I remember it being so painful to breathe. My doctor said they couldn't do much for it except give me an elastic and velcro thing that went around my ribcage. That lessened the pain some. I have to agree with lacyjones though that you should have it looked at. If it's broken the wrong way, it can really cause more damage. Feel better!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It was looked at in the ER. That is how I know it is broke! Just looking for experiences from others.

Janet

Comment by Janet (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Oh good, then hopefully it will heal clean like mine did. Did they give you some kind of binding for it? That did help to bring me some relief.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• So your doctor told you how long it would take to heal? If not, contact them and find out.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• OUch! Get better soon! Have you seen a dr?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i broke a few of mine in a car accident almost 7 yrs ago. They still hurt. I dont know if they didnt grow back together or if they did but not right. I cant lay on my belly anymore or let my kids or hubby lay on me because when i get up or they get off it knocks the breath out of me bad. it like pinches or something.
    HaRlEiGhSmOmMa

Answer by HaRlEiGhSmOmMa at 2:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have never broken a rib but I have separated one and oh my gosh it hurts. I really think the best thing you can do is rest and rest some more. Drink fluids, take pain meds as needed and slowly get more active as you are able.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2010