Can I still breastfeed my baby who has a cleft lip and palate?

Im due in Feb, and have heard I can breastfeed by a few woman, and heard that I will have to use special bottles.
I guess it all depends...?

Momof2twinboys

Asked by Momof2twinboys at 6:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my best friend pumped and fed that to her baby. I think you should get a lactation consultant though. It probably depends on the severity.
    Gecko85

Answer by Gecko85 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• there are experts to help you. There are techniques to learn. It is really going to depend on how the baby's mouth is formed, but by all means do your research and ask questions. Don't take no for an answer until you have tried. There's always expressing milk and feeding with special nipples if that is necessary. HUGS to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Ask your doctor, but I dont see why you cant. your breast are more plyable to fit the babys mouth that a plastic nipple. Its natural, healthier, and I support it 100%. Go for it. Give it a try, why not?
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 7:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'm not sure how it is done, but I'm pretty sure you can. Seek a LLC like PP said.

I just know a friend of mines baby had that and she breast fed, and at some point she had a surgery and her babies lip was back to normal, so I'm not sure for how long she did it, but I know it's capable of happening

GL
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• YES!! Like gecko said, get a lactation consultant (more than one, actually, because you'll get something different from each that may help). It CAN be done, on the boob and all, you just need to be prepared and have everything ready. Call a LC now and ask what they suggest. I'm not sure if there's anything extra you need, but if there is, you'd be wise to get it now and have it ready for your arrival at the hospital. You're very smart to be thinking about this now. Congratulations on your decision to breastfeed!! It's a wonderful experience!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• THis sounds very informative and encouraging.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Thanks! I definatly am considering seeing a lactation consultant-does anyone know if this is expensive? I know there is usually someone in the hospital to help for the first couple of days, but what about if I want someone to come to MY house??

Momof2twinboys

Comment by Momof2twinboys (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010