How soon can I give my son juice?

Tj is almost four months and I read that apple juice may help him poop. I ws wondering if he's still to young to give juice. What do you moms think?

Thanks

lilmisscheerio

Asked by lilmisscheerio at 7:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to give my youngest juice at about 4 months to help with bowl movements. You just need to dilute it pretty well so his kidneys and tummy can get used to it. I would dilute it 1/4 juice, 3/4 water at first then move up to 1/2 and 1/2 after a few weeks. :) And only give him like 4 oz a day at first, too.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My doctor told me that if my daughter can hold the sippy cup herself to her mouth she can have it. She was also 6 months! And he stressed not to give straight juice but mix it half and half with water!
    LadyofIvory

Answer by LadyofIvory at 7:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You 'can' give 4 oz a day watered down as long as it isn't interfering with his consumption of formula/breast milk. It may help with constipation. Juice is not a necessity in it's self though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Apple juice didn't work for my son when he was constipated. I inquired w/the doc and it was suggested to add brown karo syrup to his bottles. I got it at my local grocery store. It seemed to help! To answer your ? about the juice, it is still a bit young your lil one to have it on a daily basis.
    JenPrincess88

Answer by JenPrincess88 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• my daughter is 5mo and hasn't had juice or solids yet. I'm planning on waiting till 6 mo for solids, not sure when I'll give her juice.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If baby is constipated 1 ounce of juice to 1 ounce of water should do the trick. Otherwise I would not give a baby juice.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'd wait till 6 months. If it is to help with bowl movements then I'd just get a little bit of prune juice very diluted, I believe I did that with our daughter at four months to help her have a bowel movement but I didn't start giving her juice on a regular basis until like 6 to 8 months old. They don't need it at that age on a regular basis.....also, I NEVER gave it to her in a bottle. Only in a sippy cup.
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 1:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I was told to wait until a year to give juice and water...only breast milk or formula for the first year of life.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2010