In the Bible God is called "The Hearer of Prayer". Is It Appropriate to Pray to "Saints"?

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think its ridiculous to ask dead people to talk to God on your behalf, especially since we can talk to God ourselves.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You don't pray to the saints as gods. You ask the saints to pray for you.
    Anonymous

• I don't know, but i think i'll pray straight to the big guy! ;)
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't think the bible mentions praying to saints. So I just pray to God.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 7:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• 1 Timothy 2:5 declares, "For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

I think the Word speaks for itself...
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 10:44 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If you are praying to them to pray for you, sure. More prayers to God.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Job 5:1
    Call now, if there be any that will answer thee; and to which of the saints wilt thou turn?

Anonymous

• I think it all hinges on a better understanding of what intercession actually is. Its not praying to the saints, but asking for their intercession with God, like asking them to pray for you.

I personally pray straight to God, when I actually pray, but I understand and respect the concept of "praying to" the saints.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• When Jesus taught the apostles to pray he gave them model prayer, commonly called the Lord's prayer. He taught them to pray directly to God. In his own prayer in the garden before his arrest, he prays directly to God. No else can answer prayer and it is through Jesus that we are to pray.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I firmly believe that praying should only be done directly to God. In the Old Testament a mediator was necessary to take the prayers into the prescence of God... aka the priests. There were several layers in the temple, the outer court which most everyone excluding gentiles was allowed in, the inner court which only the priesthood was allowed into, and the holy of holies where the presence of God dwelled, where only one of the high priests was allowed only at certain times of the year, and only after serious purification, to offer up the prayers of Israel to God. After Jesus was crucified on the cross, the temple veil was torn from top to bottom... a true miracle being that this curtain had no seams, and it was way higher than anyone could have reached physically... that veil/curtain symbolized the need for a mediator. In Matthew 27:51, when the veil was torn God was basically saying, I have bridged the gap.... (2b continued)
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 1:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2010