is this a sensory intergration disorder?

My DD is 4 years 6 months old. she is in preschool but on a IEP. She was delayed on a few things but has some behavioral problems and it looks like sensory issues. She has for a few years now been putting her shoes on the wrong foot. She purposely does it on purpose. tells me she didnt do it but cant say who did. She says it "feels good" when there put wrong. so what i do to test is her put two shoes in front of her in the right way and two shoes backwards. she always points out that the wrong shoes are the correct way to wear them and tells me that i wear my shoes wrong. she has told me before that she cant feel it feeling wrong or anything. she could walk all day and nite in the wrong shoe on the wrong foot. its getting to the point its annoying in fighting with her. she has to put her shoes on right. i dont think i need to do it in order to get things going in the morning or when we go out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If that is the only thing you have noticed I wouldn't think so... Could simply be a power struggle.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• my daughter puts her shoes on the wrong feet alot of the time too... i don't worry about it, because she'll probably grow out of this stage...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 7:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• No, not likely. However, if you're concerned, you could have her evaluated by a professional who's qualified to make that assessment.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Here is a thought. Are you sure that she can feel the shoes on? If you tickle her feet, does she feel it? If she can then it's more than likely not a sensory problem. Maybe it is a kind of dyslexia? Otherwise, I don't know.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:34 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My daughter has been diagnosed with SPD or SID....and if that is the only thing you have noticed, that alone is not enough to be sensory integration disorder. Every single person has sensory issues with one or more things, if you really look at it. The only difference is, children with SPD/SID have sensory problems to such a degree that it interferes with their daily living. Hope that helps.
    brknangel

Answer by brknangel at 9:46 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• my son has SID and he does not know left food from right food either. funny thing he always wants to have his shoes on.even when it is time to go to bed. he has outburst if i try to take them off. another sensory he has is that he enjoys pouring sand and seeds on his head; he enjoys rolling objects on his face and he places his face against the carpet. I would'nt worry too much about your daughter but i would have her evaluated by a food doctor. ask him if this could cause any issues to the shape of her foot.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• LOL!!! i ment left FOOT from right FOOT..lol not Food..lol
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Foot doctor: podiatrist..lol..what is up with me tonight.. i need some rest.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2010