What do you think is better for the baby?

So I found out I am pregnant (about 5 weeks) and I am a smoker. I plan to quit, but I know how I feel when I feel when I go through withdraws, and I also know that how I feel is how the baby feels when it comes to such substances being put into your body. So I am wondering is it better for the fetus if I quit cold turkey, or is it better if I wean myself off?

The reason I ask your opinion is because when I smoke I become extremely stressed, irritated, shakey, etc. The baby obviously feels this way too and I also know that too much stress and anxiety can cause miscarriages. So what do you think is better??

hostlerak

Asked by hostlerak at 7:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you could ask your ob at your first appointment.....you should be going soon if you just found out you're pregnant. gl
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My OBGYN suggested to my ex's sister that she wean herself off over about a week. This would reduce the stress on her and the fetus.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 7:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would ask your dr but in my opinion you should wean yourself off. Don't do it over too long of a period ( a week like mistical said sounds about good) but if you get that stressed w/o a cigarette then you prob shouldn't do cold turkey.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have heard gradual, but if you feel like you're better with the Cold Turkey route it might be worth going for which will be more successful for you.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• you should quit cold turkey... the damage will start with organogenisis which occurs between week 5 and 12 so your baby is laying down its genome right now! smoking after week 13 only effect weight and lung maturity

although it may be difficult to quit smoking for lots of reasons --there is absolutely 0 physical consequence to immediate sensation... its all psychological NOT PHYSICAL AND NOT DEPENDENCE..... the only dangerous things to quit cold are alcohol and benzos (quitting those cold can kill you both )
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I'd try to wean yourself off. The fetus is probably addicted (I hate that word) too since you were already smoking. So you'll be weaning both of you off the nicotine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• They told me to wean off...So DH would take the pack with him and only leave me so many a day then every week he would lessen it.
    Anonymous

• The Dr told me to wean myself off gradually, less stress on me and the baby. He said quiting cold turkey is a shock to your body and the baby and that's not good.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If you think you will be successful going cold turkey, I would do that. The stress hormones, while not good, are nowhere near as bad for a developing fetus as the toxins in cigarettes. Especially during the first trimester, when everything is forming, including the nervous system.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• wean yourself off, you don't want to put your body into shock either. you never know how it could react with the fetus.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 12:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2010