How can I start cloth diapering?

My baby is 9 months old, nearly 10 months and I found out about cloth diapering when he was about 7 months old and I wish that I had started cloth diapering when he was born. I don't have enough money to shell out $250 or $350 to start cloth diapering. I wish I did because I've seen brands that I like but can't afford. I would love to put cloth diapers on my baby because I know it doesn't have chemicals in it and I want to do the best thing for my baby. Is there a more affordable way to start using cloth diapers? and if so, am I able to get a kind that won't leak too much? I want to do this for my baby but I am nervous about the transition for me. Will the cheaper cloth diapers hold like the disposables? or will I find myself changing his clothes all the time? Thanks for reading my question and I appreciate any input. :)

MommyBird388

Asked by MommyBird388 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you aren't a member at Diapers.com they are giving all new members 30% cash back on all diaper orders for 3 months... I know you said you don't have lots of money, but if you can even do 1 or 2 small orders in that time you could easily end up with enough diapers to last you a few days - which is really all you need, cause you don't want them sitting longer than that.

I'm using FLIP Diapers, they have day packs on there (2 covers & 6 liners) for $50. And you can easily use the cheaper prefolds diapers in them instead of buying extra liners...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Work you way up. Buy a few when you can the pack Sabrina mentioned sounds good and work up you stock as you can.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• for the good deals try diaperswappers.com. It's an overwhelming site, but you'll find lots of diapers there! Many sell them in bulk for a super cheap price. Sampler packs are also a good way to go. cottonbabies.com is a good website for that (and lots on clearance). In desparate measures you can find gerber prefolds in most stores like walmart, toysrus and target. they dont absorb well, but they are good for around the house. I skipped the pins and got a few snappis which are a safer alternative. I realy liked pocket diapers. you can stuff them with prefolds or liners and once wet you can simply replace the prefolds/liners with a fresh one till the pocket itself is wet (then it needs to get washed). AIO' are good because you can just stick them on, but once wet/soiled you have to eash them (so it's good to have a bunch of those on hand)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You can also look on Craigslist.org for used diapers (just be sure to wash and wash again when you get them). There's a cloth diapering group on here that's quite active, and they can really help you out. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I bought all mine from www.bumritediapers.com
    They had the best prices and free shipping. I tried alot of different ones befor I decided to stick with BumGenius 4.0 with snap closures. i went with the One Size diapers so I wont have to buy bigger sizes. They are about $17 each but I just bought a few every month until I had my stash of 20 diapers. If you not sure what kind to get go to www.jilliansdrawers.com you can try any diaper for a month and return it if you dont like it!!
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Go on craigslist and freecycle.org..I got tons of prefolds from freecycle. I also joined cuties with cloth booties and bought used diapers. Thrift stores have used diapers too. Read up on how to use them. I started with Gdiapers and prefolds in them, I have some covers to use with the prefolds. Covers and prefolds are CHEAP. The chinese linen prefolds absorb the best but the cheap gerber ones will do. I have 24 prefolds that are cheap and like 10 good ones(I got all of them used) and I could go 3-4 days without washing. With my Gdiapers we did fine on 2 covers a day. and 14 prefolds..used a sposie at night til we found some doublers at a thrift store..I seriously got 8 covers and 11 doublers for $4.32....I JUST started a month ago using cloth diapers..it was overwhelming at first...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2010