I love my job but sometimes the the people who work with me are childish and gossipy how does one deal without getting dragged in and turning into an a$$ themselves?

I mean its my job and I put up with a lot from these individuals but it never ends with this person please help me figure this out?

pinkdragon36

Asked by pinkdragon36 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• When someone start talking, just smile at them, and then put your finger between two sheets of paper like you are saving your place, or keep looking back at your computer screen. If they ask what's wrong, just say you're right in the middle of something and you'd be glad to talk later. Everytime someone tries to engage you in conversation, just smile, and don't reply, or just say um hmmm or really? then go on about your business. It may be hard at first, it's so easy to get drawn in, but you can do it with a little practice. Always be pleasant, and smile, then they can't complain that you're being snotty.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Sounds like the same "highschool" I work at. I have told them that "I don't want to hear it","if it doesn't have anything directly to do with work that I don't want to hear it", that "I have work to do", that "I'm too busy to listen to gossip." GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• You tell co-workers that you are not interested in gossiping, or any other talk that doesn't have something to do with the business you are supposed to be conducting.  Then, ignore anything said that is outside the work you do. Stick to your decision. You'll be much happier at work.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 8:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• There's one that I work with that always tattles and a few of us had it with her so finally today she pushed us over the edge and we finally said that you're in your sixties and not in 1st grade anymore. I've actually told people if you're going to start talking about someone go waste someone else's time that I'm not at work to get paid to listen to gossip.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Do your best to ignore.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2010