Any advice on what to do about this?

I have had 4 pregnacies including this one, and I am considered extremely high risk. The first- was born (in Pennsylvania) at 34 weeks with low fluid and a placenta that quit working. The second was born (in Georgia) at 39 weeks with a heart defect. The third was born (in Georgia- different hospital bc of previous death) with low fluid and I had to be induced at 37 weeks. Now that I am pregnant with my 4th (was taking meds that can potentially cause defects when I found out) and the hospital that my military insurance pays for is trying to force me to stay with them even though they screwed up with my 2nd child. It is obvious that they can not handle high risk pregnancies and I refuse to be seen by them, especially when the hospital does not have the proper resources to care for a child with severe medical needs. I have tried to come to an agreement with them and nothing is working. What can I do?

hostlerak

Asked by hostlerak at 8:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• have you gone to see a perinatologist? to find out why you have these issues? I know there are bad hospitals and bad providers out there I get that but ultimately it was not their fault you had these complications and you'd be hard pressed to say the ultimate sequela is their fault either?

In any case really if you go into ANY hospital pregnant and in labor they have to treat you. so why not pay out of pocket 2 or 3 visits to a high risk specialist and accidentally stop by there affiliated hospital to deliver???... somethings you just cant plan:) if you are still in Ga Emory is a great facility... but the best on this coast is Johns Hopkins for their neonatology
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Try talking to the insurance company for special permission? You can also ask your OB/GYN for advice? Do what you need to now before the time comes to give birth! Good luck!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 8:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• By no means am I blaming them for these problems, but when test results came back saying my son had heart defect they said it was a mistake. Well he ended up having one and the hospital that they made me deliver at had a NICU that did not have the proper resources to care for a child with severe health issues. If you have a healthy child it is a great hospital from what I hear, but in my experience they could not give my child the care that he required. By the time they realized this and sent him to a better NICU it was too late and he died. I know the condition is not their fault, but I just want to make sure my children recieve the proper care. I thank you for your input and it is helpful. I just wanted to let all of you know that I by no means blame them for the conditions.
    hostlerak

Comment by hostlerak (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2010