does anyone have a 'large' house? how do you make it smell good?

it was built 4 years ago, we moved in and it has smelled like drywall since day 1 lol. i have tried alot of different things, but they all seem to just make one small section smell good and that's it. of course if there is something stinky in the garbage THAT will smell up the house, but never found anything to make it smell good. well other than thanksgiving dinner lol. anyone have any tips? i am not sure why i'm not successful....the foyer has a tall cieling, but the other rooms are about 9ft. tall so that's not really out of the ordinary.

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I like using the oil in the glass jars with the reeds. I put one in each room, the same scent, and it works really well. They also make the ones with the wood wick, and they don't spill if they're tipped over on accident. I keep those in the bathroom because our boys aren't very careful. It's also safer than candles, and leaving potpourri out in case of little ones or pets. It's also better than those plugins that can get hot and be a fire hazard...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I usually turn on the fan (like putting on the heat or air - but without any cooling or heating engaged) and spray room freshener into the intake vents. In less than a minute, the fragrance is everywhere. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 8:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My house is almost 4000 sq ft on the bottom floor. I have oil lamps. I got them at a pottery store for $25 each. The bottles of oil are $10. They are GREAT and keep my whole bottom floor smelling good. I recently bought a scentsy lamp and they are even better!

You could also go buy the little air freshener sticks that go on the vents of your car and put them on the vents in your house.
    MegClayton

Answer by MegClayton at 8:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Are you talking about the "new house" smell. I guess I love that our house still smells like that. lol
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I meant that first sentence as a question. lol
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• you could sprinkle baking soda or other powder on your carpet before you vaccuum. Leave it for 5 minutes then vacuum it up. Thats if you have carpet.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 8:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• We have plug in air fresheners, reeds and candle jars throughout our home, and I tuck scented potpourri sachets in drawers and in cabinets. When the reeds are spent, I place them in drawers (in my kitchen, bedroom, wall unit, under sinks)--the scent lasts forever! IF you do this go with a single soft scent like vanilla or clean "neutral" scent--that's subtle yet effective at getting rid of the "sheet rock/plaster" smell. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:50 PM on Nov. 7, 2010