My Cat Has Dry Skin.....

I've noticed that my cat has been getting dry skin patches on his back near his tail. He's an indoor cat and does not have fleas. Is there anything I can do to moisturize his skin?

MarcsWife05

Asked by MarcsWife05 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Fish oil is good for dry skin. Two good brands that I know of are derm caps and 3v caps that you can either break open and put over the food or get in liquid form. You might want to take the cat to the vet though to make sure it really is dry skin and not some sort of skin infection. Also the area around the tail is pretty typical area to find fleas even if you are not seeing them you might run a flea comb through and see if you get any dirt, if you get anything place it on a paper towel and fet it damp if it turns red there are fleas. There may not be fleas now if you used a flea preventative but fleas can cause skin irritation after the fact.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My cat doesn't have fleas. He's already been treated and checked and he's indoors 24/7. So I know that's not the problem. I'm going to take him to the vet and see what they say!
    MarcsWife05

Comment by MarcsWife05 (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I have worked at a vet along time and you may be right but I have heard that statement many times only to find fleas that is the only reason why I suggested checking and stated that fleas can cuase skin irritations after the fact. Also being indoor only does not protects cats from getting fleas. We can bring fleas in the house and not even know we did.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Take it to the vet
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Take him to the vet to get a shot of cortizone. My cat use to be allergic to grass and would get these dry patches on his skin this shot stopped the itching and the dry spots went away
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2010