Is the unemployment rate going to go down with Republicans in the majority?

Do people really think this will happen?

stacymomof2

Asked by stacymomof2 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We only have the House...
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Republicans will not be in the "majority" until Jan. 2011 when they are sworn in. At that time, we will see what they will be allowed to do without gridlock, what the lame duck Congress does, and what surprises happens before then. But, yes, they expect the unemployement rate to begin to take a slow march down. Funny, it nevers gets better at the rate it got bad. Also, the repubs are the majority of one house of one branch. They don't have the super majority the dems did. They can't just pass anything they want regardless of what the other side says, and PBO has to sign it. Lots of obstructions.........we'll see which party is "the party of no" and "obstructionist". It will be a type of comparison, though not very good. It isn't "exact" conditions and all.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't honestly think it matters who is...we are in a huge mess and it will take TIME...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Not really. The problem is so much more complex than that, and every area has its own challenges. Here in Nevada, we have the worst unemployment rate in the country. That won't change any time soon because we're tourist driven. Unless people have the money to come here, our economy will stay bad. What we need is more diversity like some of the clean energy projects that are being proposed for places like northern Nevada, and Republicans don't generally support those.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It is part of a cycle and it will take years for the economy and the employment rate to improve,no matter who is in the House or who is President.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Going to work on it and THAT'S more than anyone has done in 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're going to do SOMETHING,  even if it IS wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I don't expect jobs to return overnight and I I don't expect them to return at all under either party unless some changes are made. The US is NOT small business friendly. It is the small businesses that put the bread and butter on the tables in this country.

I would like to see our legislators...in both parties sit down with small business owners like myself and really listen to what we are saying and then act upon it! There are a lot of things that could be done to help...things that are either free or will end up cost neutral.

Just for the record, I didn't expect the Dems to create jobs...just an environment that enabled employers to do it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Unemployment is a global situation and it won’t change any time soon. Out my many readings this recession will drag on for 5 years at least. I'm sure hoping they are wrong.  :-/

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I should have been more clear...what will the do that will make a difference? What is the strategy? And while I understand that they do not have the majority in the Senate there is at least a reasonable expectation that they will have the power to move forward their ideas. And there will (hopefully) be less filibustering, right? Just what are the proposals? (And yes, thank you to the person that had to remind me that the next session will be next year. I am aware.)
    stacymomof2

Comment by stacymomof2 (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• HAHAHA...oh wait, you're being serious?

Nothing is going to change.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010